leaking axle tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frankenstien

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
383 CUI
i have an 8 lug dana 44 under my truck in the front, it has started to leak gear oil where the tube is pressed/spot welded into the pumpkin.

anyone have any luck fixing this with something other than a Dana 60?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
i have an 8 lug dana 44 under my truck in the front, it has started to leak gear oil where the tube is pressed/spot welded into the pumpkin.

anyone have any luck fixing this with something other than a Dana 60?

I would contact a off roading shop in your area (if available). I received a quote once to straighten, or replace an axle tube on a dana 44 I was planning on using on a jeep I had. Unlimited Offroad Center is where I got it from. My axle had a tweaked tube from being under a mud truck, and was told that if it couldn't be straightened, it would be the same price to replace it. Their quote was for $200.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it is leaking you should be more concerned about the shape of the tubes and if there is anything bent.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Even if the housing is bent or cracked, I don't think it should be leaking there. Front axles have the oil seals in the pumpkin, the tubes are dry. Must need new seals too.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Someone made a half-assed attempt at welding the tubes on my 14-bolt rear before I got it, and it leaks. If it were me I would look for a new housing and use as much of your new(er) parts over in it.

frankenstien

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
383 CUI
I would contact a off roading shop in your area (if available). I received a quote once to straighten, or replace an axle tube on a dana 44 I was planning on using on a jeep I had. Unlimited Offroad Center is where I got it from. My axle had a tweaked tube from being under a mud truck, and was told that if it couldn't be straightened, it would be the same price to replace it. Their quote was for $200.

no real offroad shop here, ill check the local drive drain place though see what they say

frankenstien

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
383 CUI
If it is leaking you should be more concerned about the shape of the tubes and if there is anything bent.

i am concerned, dont want my axle breaking in half while driving, the tube has a bit of wiggle in it, only noticeable when jacking the front end up by the axle

frankenstien

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
383 CUI
Even if the housing is bent or cracked, I don't think it should be leaking there. Front axles have the oil seals in the pumpkin, the tubes are dry. Must need new seals too.

there is no fluid coming out of the end of the axle tube, dry as a bone, only from the spot where the tube connects, i think that seal only seals around the axle shaft, supposed to be a press fit around the tube...i think

frankenstien

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
383 CUI
Someone made a half-assed attempt at welding the tubes on my 14-bolt rear before I got it, and it leaks. If it were me I would look for a new housing and use as much of your new(er) parts over in it.

i thought about that, as they are pretty common axles, but i dont want it to happen again, which was why my only thought was a D60, they are just big money, and id have to get a new carrier for it as most i find are 4.10, i need 4.56

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You're not tellin me anything lol I got a ****-ton of money in my D60. It has the 4.56 carrier which currently has 5.13s but I'm wanting to take it down to 4.10s. I have a 3-series carrier for it, just a matter of when it gets bumped up the priority list.

frankenstien

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
383 CUI
yeah, im not too famillar with the dana 60 front end, but its kinda looking like i need one if i tear this one apart or fix it and tear it apart again

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Guys at the local mud races run 10-bolt fronts but they beef them up with chromoly axleshafts and convert the pinion yoke to 1350. They say the D60 adds too much weight for them to be competitive. They run the sand drag but I like to run the hill & hole and deep pit races, the D60 is the stoutest to have for those. 35s and down you can run a 10 bolt (or D44) but bigger than 35 should have the D60.

frankenstien

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
383 CUI
Guys at the local mud races run 10-bolt fronts but they beef them up with chromoly axleshafts and convert the pinion yoke to 1350. They say the D60 adds too much weight for them to be competitive. They run the sand drag but I like to run the hill & hole and deep pit races, the D60 is the stoutest to have for those. 35s and down you can run a 10 bolt (or D44) but bigger than 35 should have the D60.

This isnt a mud truck, im running 33's. Im running a 500hp small block and drive it like its a drag car, ive launched it pretty hard in 4wd a few times. I have never broken anything inside the axle itself. Im just starting to wonder if the housing is strong enough for what im doing. The truck weights 6200lbs, and has home built bumpers front and rear, weight is no concern

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Sounds like there's a possibility that you spun, or at the very least broke an axle tube free. Obviously these things weren't meant to launch like that, so the factory press fit them and used a couple plug welds to hold them. If you can find a shop set up to do axles, I would bet yours would be fine if you haven't broken anything internal this far, you would just need to have them weld the tubes in instead of the press fit/plug weld system the factory used. Just have them make sure your caster is on before welding.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Some kind of axle truss might be a good idea too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx