Keep losing connection at battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Is there anything I can do to keep the battery cables from wiggling loose? They are the side-mounted type. Doesn't seem to take much backing out of the mounting screw before I start losing juice.

Battery is an Interstate about 5 years old and holding good charge. Voltmeter is always around 14 volts with engine running.

Thanks!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sorry What kind of battery terminals do you have?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I remove the captured terminal bolt (the one with the 5/16" head that comes with the side mount style cable ends). Just force it out - or cut it and remove it from the terminal. Once it is out, replace it with a normal 3/8" -16 stainless steel bolt.

An 1 1/4" bolt works good. It is a little long, but you can dial it in with a washer stack. Place the washers on the back side of the terminal (away from the battery).

To address your specific question about the connections loosening up; be sure to include a lock washer somewhere in the stack. This will prevent the connection from loosening.

The washer stack also eliminates another problem inherent with side mount cable ends - it provides a good clamping point for jumper cables, a battery charger, etc. Grabbing on to the 5/16" bolt head with a pair of jumpers sucks.

Don't worry about the steel bolts ripping the threads out of the recessed battery terminals. Only the contact face is made of lead, the tapped hole in the terminal is actually a steel insert.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I remove the captured terminal bolt (the one with the 5/16" head that comes with the side mount style cable ends). Just force it out - or cut it and remove it from the terminal. Once it is out, replace it with a normal 3/8" -16 stainless steel bolt.

An 1 1/4" bolt works good. It is a little long, but you can dial it in with a washer stack. Place the washers on the back side of the terminal (away from the battery).

To address your specific question about the connections loosening up; be sure to include a lock washer somewhere in the stack. This will prevent the connection from loosening.

The washer stack also eliminates another problem inherent with side mount cable ends - it provides a good clamping point for jumper cables, a battery charger, etc. Grabbing on to the 5/16" bolt head with a pair of jumpers sucks.

Don't worry about the steel bolts ripping the threads out of the recessed battery terminals. Only the contact face is made of lead, the tapped hole in the terminal is actually a steel insert.

Cool! I'll try it out. Glad someone was able to read my first post.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69