K10 auto to manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEG77k10

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy k10
Engine Size
400 stroker
Has anyone on here converted an auto k10 to a manual? I’d like to take out the 3 speed th350 and put in a 4 speed. What are your thoughts?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Carefully evaluate why you want to make this swap. If you use an OEM 4 speed manual you will then have a 3 speed manual with a granny low gear. It will work fine, but have a long shifter and shift like an old truck (which it is).

If I was going to bother with a swap I would want a modern 5 speed manual (overdrive 5th) from a newer truck, but that’s a more expensive transmission and a more complicated swap. My other choice would be to use the newest version of the the 4L60 (later models were more reliable), or a 4L80.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is not a difficult swap. I'm guessing you're planning on using an SM 465? There are a few things you will have to change. If you're getting it out of a doner, make sure you get all the clutch assembly, linkages, boots, and pedal assembly. If you want reverse lights, make sure to take the wiring harness from the transmission switch to the cab. The wire connector is nearly impossible to find and the automatic wiring goes to a switch on the column. The only other thing I can think of is the rear drive shaft will need to be lengthened. Changing from a TH 350 to an SM 465 was the best move I ever made on my truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx