Jegs or Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecrow71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Looking to get a LS Crate engine. Does it matter which company I go with, does anyone have bad or good interactions with either company?

Thank you

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
I’ve ordered parts from both, both are good. I’ve had some minor billing issues with Summit before, not sure if it was my fault of theirs, but it was resolved in a quick and professional manner. I think it comes down to who has the better deal, shipping costs, availability. Just my two cents.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I bought a crate engine from Summit, went as well as I hoped.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Summit has been tremendously helpful. I've received some damaged stuff and they sent out new stuff with no return expected. As well as I broke a piece in a kit once and told them it was my fault, and they contacted the company and got it sent out no charge, for my honesty. That was painless wirings help as well.

Ive never had a bad experience with jegs, but summit has gone above and beyond multiple times for me. I've used them for over a decade now. Mostly for aftermarket stuff, seals, fittings, and specialty stuff. I can't say enough good things about summit.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I used to buy from Jeg's ALL THE TIME. They had 3 stores in Columbus and one was 10 miles from where I lived. Their "main" store on 11th Ave was there warehouse. When they built a new giant warehouse up in Delaware Ohio, they closed the W Broad store (the one I normally went to) and the E Main store shortly after that. The only store left was the one on 11th. It wasn't that big of a deal, but I was sore about it. Then a few years later, they quit producing a main catalog, just the 'flyer' catalogs remained. That focking sucked. Even the guys that worked at Jeg's agreed that the lack of a paper catalog sucked. It's hard to shop for stuff online if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.

So then at some point, Summit began offering free shipping on orders over $99. AND they still produce a thick catalog showing things that are available... things that you may not be aware that they exist. I like a paper catalog to browse through, so I've been a Summit customer for 10+ years now. And I'm a happy customer too.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I used to buy from Jeg's ALL THE TIME. They had 3 stores in Columbus and one was 10 miles from where I lived. Their "main" store on 11th Ave was there warehouse. When they built a new giant warehouse up in Delaware Ohio, they closed the W Broad store (the one I normally went to) and the E Main store shortly after that. The only store left was the one on 11th. It wasn't that big of a deal, but I was sore about it. Then a few years later, they quit producing a main catalog, just the 'flyer' catalogs remained. That focking sucked. Even the guys that worked at Jeg's agreed that the lack of a paper catalog sucked. It's hard to shop for stuff online if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.

So then at some point, Summit began offering free shipping on orders over $99. AND they still produce a thick catalog showing things that are available... things that you may not be aware that they exist. I like a paper catalog to browse through, so I've been a Summit customer for 10+ years now. And I'm a happy customer too.
x2 on the paper catalog. I know a lot of people will call that "old fashioned", but whatever man I'm only 35 and I still can't stand that everything is just online these days. I miss getting the JCWhitney catalog and seeing what cool crap I could get for my truck as a teenager, the internet has really ruined a lot of that. I agree it's so much easier to stumble upon stuff. Online you have to search for what you want. Even classifieds, sometimes I'd stumble upon something I never knew I wanted, then end up driving it later. Now I go online and it's search by model so I have to just pick what I want, and there's none of those accidental "you know what, that would be cool" type of stuff.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I have no opinion of Jegs, I've never used them either personally or with the shop, but we have used Summit and I can't think of a time it's gone wrong. A dumb as it feels to me to say this, I value a paper book as well. NAPA has informed me that they have not produced a paper filter book in 5 years, so we'll never see a new book. Their suggestion is to purchase a tablet and put it by or filters.... Gee..... Cheaper for them I suppose not for us!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I should also clarify, customer service at both places was always great. That was definitely not my issue at Jeg's. For example, the dudes at Jeg's would order in complete exhaust kits for me to purchase just a piece or two from the kit. I also once went in looking to purchase a couple new Comp rockers because I had a couple that were worn... but the guy went back into the warehouse, walking out with a complete rocker kit, then pulled a couple rockers out and sent me on my way after keeping my worn rockers. That there is incredible customer service, imho.

Besides mail orders, I've been into Summit's OH store as well as their GA store and at both places, the salesmen were extremely helpful.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
x2 on the paper catalog. I know a lot of people will call that "old fashioned", but whatever man I'm only 35 and I still can't stand that everything is just online these days. I miss getting the JCWhitney catalog and seeing what cool crap I could get for my truck as a teenager, the internet has really ruined a lot of that. I agree it's so much easier to stumble upon stuff. Online you have to search for what you want. Even classifieds, sometimes I'd stumble upon something I never knew I wanted, then end up driving it later. Now I go online and it's search by model so I have to just pick what I want, and there's none of those accidental "you know what, that would be cool" type of stuff.
I miss JCWhitney too.... Lots of great stuff for cheap.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have no opinion of Jegs, I've never used them either personally or with the shop, but we have used Summit and I can't think of a time it's gone wrong. A dumb as it feels to me to say this, I value a paper book as well. NAPA has informed me that they have not produced a paper filter book in 5 years, so we'll never see a new book. Their suggestion is to purchase a tablet and put it by or filters.... Gee..... Cheaper for them I suppose not for us!
My grandfather (technically my grandmother's 2nd husband, not blood related but he was around since before I existed) worked at Napa basically his whole life, at least since the late 60s-early 70s. He used to get the catalogs and bring them home for me and my cousin, and seriously who knew all the stuff you could get from NAPA? I remember looking at 383 stroker crate engines and camshafts and headers and superchargers and stuff, and him saying "yeah people don't order those a lot, but I can get one for you on the cheap if you ever had a need for it". He just passed new year's eve 2022, but man I wish I could go back in time 15 years with my current wallet lol. Darn shame they don't have a real catalog anymore

My aunt and uncle did a quick sale on the property and we had like a week to get everything out when he died. Everyone focused on sentimental stuff and big items, I swear I was the only one who even set foot in the garage. My truck was out of commission that weekend so I just had the wife's little Mazda with a Uhaul trailer mainly taken up by the kitchen set, but dude I loaded up on as much stuff as I could fit into every crevice, kinda fet like I was robbing somewhere; my wife was just waiting and I kept going back in and throwing stuff into crates and hauling it out sayimg "holy crap can't let this go to waste"... All the good cleaning chemicals you can't get anymore, every kind of spray can or additive you can imagine, I even grabbed some old Amilie oil and trans fluid cans (still full, grabbed a spout or two too lol) just for nostalgia's sake, but obviously wasn't worth taking ALL of it.

Last edited:

thecrow71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
5.7 350
Hey everyone thanks for your input means a lot. i to like paper in my hand as well.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My grandfather (technically my grandmother's 2nd husband, not blood related but he was around since before I existed) worked at Napa basically his whole life, at least since the late 60s-early 70s. He used to get the catalogs and bring them home for me and my cousin, and seriously who knew all the stuff you could get from NAPA? I remember looking at 383 stroker crate engines and camshafts and headers and superchargers and stuff, and him saying "yeah people don't order those a lot, but I can get one for you on the cheap if you ever had a need for it". He just passed new year's eve 2022, but man I wish I could go back in time 15 years with my current wallet lol. Darn shame they don't have a real catalog anymore

My aunt and uncle did a quick sale on the property and we had like a week to get everything out when he died. Everyone focused on sentimental stuff and big items, I swear I was the only one who even set foot in the garage. My truck was out of commission that weekend so I just had the wife's little Mazda with a Uhaul trailer mainly taken up by the kitchen set, but dude I loaded up on as much stuff as I could fit into every crevice, kinda fet like I was robbing somewhere; my wife was just waiting and I kept going back in and throwing stuff into crates and hauling it out sayimg "holy crap can't let this go to waste"... All the good cleaning chemicals you can't get anymore, every kind of spray can or additive you can imagine, I even grabbed some old Amilie oil and trans fluid cans (still full, grabbed a spout or two too lol) just for nostalgia's sake, but obviously wasn't worth taking ALL of it.
Kevin, just how do you explain grand parents in that scenario? My grand parents on my mothers side divorced, in the early 80's, she remarried to sweed, he would remarry, divorce 2nd wife a few years later and then marry a wonderful southern gal in 90' and they stayed together until the end. I've always just said my grand fathers wife, but she's more than that to me, but technically not blood. IDK They are all gone now.

When my grand father moved into assisted living, he invited me to go though and take anything from his shop I wanted. He would not take any money. He let some of the other guys in the family go though his shop the next day and then sold what was left. I should have taken more, but I got some hand tools, and his air compressor.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I like a paper catalog to browse through, so I've been a Summit customer for 10+ years now. And I'm a happy customer too.
Good auto parts catalog is necessary for pooping…

Pile of LMC and summit catalogs in my bathroom.

I kinda miss the PAW catalog from my childhood…. I must have circled and underlined a bazillion hot rod dream parts

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Also summits shipping is insane actually. Usually it's 2-3 days. Sometimes it's normal, most of the time they're a day or two early, but sometimes they're crazy.

I just ordered some stuff on Friday about noon. Was scheduled for delivery this Thursday. They shipped it out and it shipped all weekend, it's literally out for delivery right now, monday morning. It ain't no, a state away either, it shipped from ohio to ND lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello