it worked - trans was 'choking' engine at stop....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Guys, just a heads up, kinda more like an fyi -

I just bought a 87 V10 - it's been sitting for 10+ years. Engine hums like a sewing machine. nice truck all around.

However, I when I would approach a stop sign / stop light or even when going super slow in a parking lot, the truck would randomly stall -

it was as if the converter was only partially 'unlocking' - It was random. it was taxing the idle. sorta.

I checked the trans fluid - It looked and smelled ok. I was afraid I was going to have to replace the converter.

I got thinking from some other members here, service transfer case - first.

So I did, It actually helped. It would say it cut it down 50%. (especially when turning into a parking spot) But, it didn't cure it. It was better just not 100%.

Now for the record, Im not a believer it the 'miracle potion - cure all fix all' but I do love some seafoam -

I poured in a bottle of that SEAFOAM HYDRA TRANS TUNE.

It worked. I drove it maybe 40 miles in town. It took 1/2 of that to start to notice that stopping was so much easier on the idle coming to a stop.

Now it's like it should be - crazy. but it worked. just fyi.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Good ol mechanic in a can to the rescue!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good ol mechanic in a can to the rescue!
that **** has saved more than 4 power steering systems of mine. never even tried a AT.

Even used in my pump for plow hydraulics... cap was never installed so it had water. quieted it down and made flushing nice and clean

81C20AngierNC

Reaction score
First Name
Addison
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
4.1 250
Im having the same issue. Out on the road? No problem, coming to a stop i almost have to throw it in Neutral to keep it running. Going to try the trans fix if that doesn't work the torque converter could be the issue?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
More than likely the solenoid is sticking. Once the pan is off it’s an easy fix.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
More than likely the solenoid is sticking. Once the pan is off it’s an easy fix.

I had something similar happen on my 90 burb once. bucking and half stalling, but only after highway driving that would lock the converter. driving around town where it would never lock, it was fine. the solenoid was cracked and it wasn't letting it unlock all the way. I also noticed not as much rpm drop when it did lock on the highway. it was an easy pan drop, replace, pan up, and refill if that's the issue

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just to elaborate on this converter issue , if you let this event happen to often locking up killing the engine . It will wipe out your main thrust bearing in the bottom end . Seen it happen on fords and Chevrolets .

JeffK10America

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm having issues sourcing the shift solenoid, any recommendations?
I can't advise on the solenoids. Wich control what functions. I don't do any transmission building or repairs . But that info should be easy to find . Sorry on that note . Wish you luck with that , someone on this site has good info and knowledge on this issue. Trans functions by solenoids. Hope they chime in .

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members