Is this rare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I heard it called all those except topper. That must be a Yankee thing. Sounds kinda gay if you ask me. Probably why I've never called it that. :rolleyes:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I heard it called all those except topper. That must be a Yankee thing. Sounds kinda gay if you ask me. Probably why I've never called it that. :rolleyes:
Idk man being bottom instead sounds pretty gay to me. Well, for guys.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I was just wondering if they were since in my area there’s not many squarebodies left I was wondering other areas about how many of these old truck campers are left

Not many that's for sure

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Topper, Cap, Shell, Camper, Camper Shell, all the same. I grew up calling them campers whether they were the big overhead ones or just a shell/topper.

So when you are hunting for a "cap" on Craig's List or Ebay, use all these names one at a time and you will find one you like.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Mine was bought new with the truck from local dealer the only problem with it is a missing black window and a broke t handle
BTW, just because it was bought new with the truck, doesn't mean the dealer didn't have it outfitted with it. We have new trucks here that are sent out for spray in bedliners by whatever company they want to use. In fact one dealership I worked at, got a truck back it looked like ****. We made them tear it off and if they couldn't do any better we were going somewhere else. They agreed their gun was malfunctioning and made it right.

BUT, you see that shell I posted pics of and said it flew off the truck and took flight??? It looks to be the same brand even. I had to go back and pick that shell up. Being I worked for a reputable tow company, if someone seen it blow off, I didn't want to get reported, and it was the right thing to do, so I went back and got it. It's all fuct up. But the glass survived and maybe the handle. It's been sitting out at my dad's property in the meadow for years. If we haven't shot it up, the glass and handle might be still be good. It might take me to this summer to get out there. With all this **** going on with COVID 19 and my dad having Leukemia and his wife heart and lung issues, they are not allowing anyone close to them right now. I might be able to pull one of those small bubble windows out and get the handle for the cost of shipping and supplies.

Cemack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Canadian here. I've always called them canopies.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
That's what we call'em around here along with every other name mentioned!!

Doc_Ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500 shortbed
Engine Size
Yeah I grew up in CT and that's what they were called there too. Funny how confusing it can be when you learn your truth was nothing more than a regional preference all along

Nice! I’m also NH by way of CT. Remember “Cap City”? We had one in Danbury, I’m pretty sure I remember them having a few locations around the state.
They were the ones selling them and they called them caps, so there’s that...

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Nice! I’m also NH by way of CT. Remember “Cap City”? We had one in Danbury, I’m pretty sure I remember them having a few locations around the state.
They were the ones selling them and they called them caps, so there’s that...
Hah yep. They're still on Federal Rd across from the Honda dealer last time I was in Danbury (which thankfully isn't too often lol). They advertise their caps and lids alongside toolboxes and tonneau covers etc. No mention of camping anywhere. Pretty sure you gotta go to an RV specialty store to hear that word

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL