Is patch work too ghetto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
I recently started a new job at my local U-haul center. As a low salary single father, sleeping on a sofa, in a home with no garage, or concrete driveway. My options are limited for repairing my old 87.

At my shop we have a massive air compressor, full set of air tools and all the goods.

My GM dosent mind us using the tools when we arnt on the clock, and the store is open.. And of course no higher up bosses are in or whatnot.

My truck needs some new sheet metal on rockers, cab corners, and floor boards. The rest is just cosmetic and not very important.

So now to the point, Would it be stupid to use the air drill, and air rivet gun, to patch up some of the spots I'd liked covered? I figure metal, rivets, and sparypaint are cheaper then trying to find somebody I trust enough to weld my beast and whatnot.

I DO of course plan on doing it the right way.. but I just am not at that point.

Thanks guys.. This site is more addicting then www.reddit.com

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Unless you can't pass inspection, why do the job twice?

Also don't forget to consider the double expense for parts.

If you're not extremely meticulous while installing/removing the "temporary" sheet metal pieces using rivets, they will probably be unusable when you go to make the final installation. You'll have to buy them all over again.

Ever considered buying a welder and give it try yourself. For the price of one batch of patch panels, check Craigslist - you might find a decent used 110 volt MIG welder.

With some practice, it would be all you need. Even if you suck at first (and you'll get better quick), you can always grind your mistakes away. And when you're all done you will still have a welder.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Unless you can't pass inspection, why do the job twice?

Also don't forget to consider the double expense for parts.

If you're not extremely meticulous while installing/removing the "temporary" sheet metal pieces using rivets, they will probably be unusable when you go to make the final installation. You'll have to buy them all over again.

Ever considered buying a welder and give it try yourself. For the price of one batch of patch panels, check Craigslist - you might find a decent used 110 volt MIG welder.

With some practice, it would be all you need. Even if you suck at first (and you'll get better quick), you can always grind your mistakes away. And when you're all done you will still have a welder.

I agree 100% i bought a cheap little 110 volt for my body work eventually!

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Old chevy's are way more entertaining then funny cats and reposts.

I'll look into a used welder. I know how to weld, just have not practiced enough to want to try it on my truck lol.
Thanks guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1