Custom bed work/shaving???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
When I bag my POS... I plan on raising the bed floor high enough that the Compressors, tank, valves, etc all fit underneath, also clearing 22-24" wheels.
So, the bed itself may only be about 6" deep. With that I want to make the inside bedside, where they go straight down from the inside rail edge to the bed. No corners, metal radiused or rounded if that makes sense.

Then all the way at the rear, a panel will lift up, exposing the Air bag tank, valves, compressors, extra batt, wiring and such.

In the front, I want a second panel that when lifted, its just a storage for cleaning and "Show Prop"s, OR i will cut out the front bed wall and back cab wall and have a "Blow through" Sub enclosure, 4th order Rear enc sealed/front vented into cab. I have Amps and a lot of the stereo equipment, just not sure I want to do that much or not. I mean I really want BASS, but I don't want to devote that much space that an enclosure I'd do would require.

Does the inside bed side stuff make any sense the way I explained it? Anyone do anything even remotely similar? Any pics or links so such? I've seen a few where the whole bed or a small portion (usually a wood bed) lifts up to see a fuel tank and frame, but never the smoothed inside bedsides....

Again, this will be a cruiser and a show truck, not a practical daily driver.
I feel like I have to defend myself as (not here, but FB and many other forums) when I ask about stuff pretty custom, I always get some guy telling me how I'm ruining it, by cutting on it and not restoring it to vintage, "Hot Rodding it" Liftin it or doing the same things he did. Not my goal.

Anyway, any help or inspiration would be appreciated.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds bitchin! Get a new pack of cutting discs and a roll of wire for the welder and let er rip!

Aside from fck whoever doesn’t like what you’re doing (unless they happen to be sponsoring you, lol), it’s not like you’re cutting up the last rare squarebody on earth. There’s still about a million of them on the road. So many that if they weren’t cool they wouldn’t have much monetary value anyway. Think about all the 70s and 80s cars that are not collectible. The list is pretty long.
Your thing could be a restored original, a show truck, big 4x4, resto mod, daily driver, mudder or chit box a to b and hopefully back to a with no issues truck. Doesn’t matter.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Sounds bitchin! Get a new pack of cutting discs and a roll of wire for the welder and let er rip!

Aside from fck whoever doesn’t like what you’re doing (unless they happen to be sponsoring you, lol), it’s not like you’re cutting up the last rare squarebody on earth. There’s still about a million of them on the road. So many that if they weren’t cool they wouldn’t have much monetary value anyway. Think about all the 70s and 80s cars that are not collectible. The list is pretty long.
Your thing could be a restored original, a show truck, big 4x4, resto mod, daily driver, mudder or chit box a to b and hopefully back to a with no issues truck. Doesn’t matter.
^^^^

I'm with @Grit dog , its your truck and your money. Do whatever you want to it so long as you don't just slap some chrome valve covers and wheels on it and call it "Your build"

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Check out the AMD replacement bed floor. Might save yourself some fab and you gain clearance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes