Is it safe? part deux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Hello, I'm not the same OP from part one but I had a question and didn't want to hi-jack the other thread. So my question is, can I install a higher stall (I think it'll be in the 2500 to 2800k range, I'd have to report back on that info) torque converter on a mostly stock engine, 33 in tires, 4.58? gears and drive it a maximum of 5 miles at speeds less than 35 mph? The reason I ask is that I'm about to take the truck to get the flex plate replaced and wanted to take advantage and have the TQ converter replaced also since I'm planning on adding a 282 comp cam but don't want to pay the shop to replace that when I can do that myself. The reason I don't do it myself is that there is no safe place or space in my place of residence to do the swap currently. However, I can do the cam swap there. Please let me know what you all think about the plan I have.

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If you can do all the work to replace the torque convertor why wouldnt you replace your flexplate while your in there?

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
@4WDKC I'm sorry if I made this unclear so when I take my truck to the shop to get the flex plate replaced, I want to get the torque converter replaced also in preparation for the cam. I would then drive it home with the high stall converter about 5 miles with only 3 stops or so. Then I would do that camshaft swap at my house.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So you are going to pay a shop 6 hours to replace the flexplate?

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
So you are going to pay a shop 6 hours to replace the flexplate?

Only because I don't have much space or proper tools to drop the transmission and transfer case.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
you can't really run a lopey cam with a tight converter because it'll stall at stops in drive. that's part of the reason for the high stall converter. your stockish cam will be fine with a high stall that short distance.

your biggest consideration is probably keeping atf cool with a high stall converter. id make sure the trans cooler, fluid and trans filter are squared away.

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
you can't really run a lopey cam with a tight converter because it'll stall at stops in drive. that's part of the reason for the high stall converter. your stockish cam will be fine with a high stall that short distance.

your biggest consideration is probably keeping atf cool with a high stall converter. id make sure the trans cooler, fluid and trans filter are squared away.

So just to make sure I understand correctly if I do get the TQ converter done with my stock cam I should be fine to drive it home, then do the cam swap at home? I understand the TQ converter issue which is I want to get the converter in before I swap the cam in.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So just to make sure I understand correctly if I do get the TQ converter done with my stock cam I should be fine to drive it home, then do the cam swap at home? I understand the TQ converter issue which is I want to get the converter in before I swap the cam in.

This is all just from research I’ve done lately. I am by no means an expert on torque converters.

I did however, call multiple torque converter manufacturers when searching for the right converter for my truck. I recommend the same if you haven’t already.

Most of them have programs they plug you specs into to give you recommendations. Hughes was really friendly and informative.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It'll be fine. That's not really that high of a stall rpm and you have the steep gearing to support it.

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Perfect thank you for all the info.

Latest posts