Irishman's tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Big updates in my tool arsenal, still giving me a chubby.

First is the two tool boxes I got for 100 bucks off of craigslist.

You must be registered for see images attach

We finally got a place with a garage, here is my 85 and the wifes Mustang in the driveway. I really like this place so far.

Last thing I am most proud of, wholly ****. I needed a parts washer so I made a wanted add on craigslist. Shortly after a guy named Will sold me one for 40 bucks. Great quality unit as far as I can tell, he said it needs a pump and it looked like someone bypassed a fuse and melted something.

Here is the parts washer.....

After I flipped it over and got the pump off I found the wires were broken, completely. That would be cause number one as to why it would not work. I pulled the pump out and found it was made in Hotrods stomping grounds of OKC.

The pump was cast aluminum and looked quality so I wire brushed off the tag to get some numbers so I could order parts. I found the parts through sears but nothing listed parts that were internal, only the impeller and impeller housing.

I decided since the replacement was 100 bucks I would try and clean all the gunk and **** out of my pump and see if it works. Basically all I did was clean everything really good with carb cleaner and re wire all the broken wires.

After a little work I was blown away.... **** works. This parts washer is an expensive unit and the whole reason the guy sold it so cheap was the pump not working. Really happy about this deal. I still have to get a couple things before I fill it with cleaning fluid and test it but the pump runs like a top when you plug it into the wall.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's cool ****. So you got the pump working !!! Now just find you some mineral spirits that you can buy in bulk. It'll be cheaper just to take your drum and buy it just like pumping gas. That is how I buy mine.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That's cool ****. So you got the pump working !!! Now just find you some mineral spirits that you can buy in bulk. It'll be cheaper just to take your drum and buy it just like pumping gas. That is how I buy mine.

Thanks man, I am still in the dark about what cleaning agent I want to use. The guy that sold it to me said he used Kerosene and the only place he could find it in bulk was Carson city. After driving half way to Carson city and running out of gas its clear that even if I buy something in Reno for 10 bucks a gallon it will be cheaper.

I talked to the local ZEP guy a while ago at my last job and he said he could get me their good **** for 10 bucks a gallon, I am thinking of getting ahold of them here if its possible so I dont have to drive to carson city.

Another thing I was looking into is the crappy water based stuff you buy in concentrate at auto parts stores, I might try it for ***** and giggles.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh helllllllllllllllllllllllllllll NO !!! $10 a gallon?? Suck my sack !!! Mineral Spirits last time I bought it was like $3 a gallon. That has been some years ago, so maybe even $4 or $5 a gallon now. But Mineral Sprits is also NON flammable and that is also important to have , so avoid Kerosene which is not much differant than diesel.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Doh, Mineral Spirits has gone WAY up in price too. But I'd check at a bulk chemical company. Or 5 gallon cans at Lowes or HD. Seems it may be $9 or $10 gallon now too. Damn, and I am about ready to have to buy 10 gallons for mine with all the transmissions I am doing recently.

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I went to harbor freight and got a heat gun and some shrink tube stuff, all on sale. I wanted to seal my splice in the line well and I have plenty other uses for the heat gun and other ********.....

I put the pump back together, no gasket so I used ALOT of RTV. I filled the can up half way with water for testing the pump before I waste money on a cleaning agent.

**** works, glorious site. Even the work light came on, all for 40 bucks and a little bit of work.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Turned out to be a good deal!

In mine, I cut up a section of wire rack shelving so it lays in the bottom of the pan, everything washed is raised an inch or so and drip-dries better.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
John, its been an AWESOME DEAL so far!

Did more with the parts washer today, I went to Autozone and got a 5 gallon jug of some purple cleaner **** to run though it. The directions said you could delude it with water so I just poured the jug into the water I already had in the drum for testing.

The pump started acting up, after 20 minutes of straight use it would shut off. Seems like its fine now, it ran for about an hour straight.

I can say this about it, it will **** up your hands. Im going to get gloves before using it again, funny part is.... its biodegradable so when it gets to nasty I am just going to dump it in the alley.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The pump may have a thermal protection overload and when it gets warm it shuts down. I know I'd never run mine for 20 minutes at a time. I actually don't even use mine anymore. I just got me an biggo aluminum pan and pour about 2-3 gallons of my Solvent from my Soltvent tank drum and when it gets so funky, then I dispose of it with my motor oil. I really need to call the local chemical company and see how much that stuff is now. I have not bought any in over 10 years and I bet I am going to be shocked when I hear the price. At this place I go to, its sold in bulk in undeground tank. You pull up to a set of pumps and fill your containers just like you'd be getting gasoline. It has the price per gallon and the gallons just like a gas pump. I usually buy 10 gallons for my 15 gallon drum, and my pump sits at the bottom 1/3 of the drum so that all the nasty stuff falls to the bottom and doesn't get sucked up in the pump.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The pump may have a thermal protection overload and when it gets warm it shuts down. I know I'd never run mine for 20 minutes at a time. I actually don't even use mine anymore. I just got me an biggo aluminum pan and pour about 2-3 gallons of my Solvent from my Soltvent tank drum and when it gets so funky, then I dispose of it with my motor oil. I really need to call the local chemical company and see how much that stuff is now. I have not bought any in over 10 years and I bet I am going to be shocked when I hear the price. At this place I go to, its sold in bulk in undeground tank. You pull up to a set of pumps and fill your containers just like you'd be getting gasoline. It has the price per gallon and the gallons just like a gas pump. I usually buy 10 gallons for my 15 gallon drum, and my pump sits at the bottom 1/3 of the drum so that all the nasty stuff falls to the bottom and doesn't get sucked up in the pump.

No thermal shut off switch, whatever it was has resolved itself because the parts washer no stays running constantly!

As far as chemicals go, I got a 5 gallon jug full of some purple cleaner **** from Autozone to try out and its working great. This stuff works so good it was eating the skin off my hands, seriously I have open sores and rashes! Besides the great price and performance its diluted with water and bio degradable. I did like a 1 part solution 2 part water mix and it seems perfect, best part is I can dump it down the street when I am done.

I was so excited to try it out I started cleaning nasty parts that came off the 85, This lead to something great. I found that distributor I pulled out and it was covered in oil and looked like 3 kinds of ****. After some work in the parts washer it looked brand new so I decided to put a little work into it. I took it apart and cleaned everything really good with the parts washer, used heat shrink wrap on the wires coming out and installed the new cap+rotor back on. I figured someone locally could probably use it so why not sell it.

CL add for it.

http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/2310091444.html

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So that is the ad you should be putting the recriuter GMSB banner with. If you need help installing this or any other 73-87 (91) truck parts or help......

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
... best part is I can dump it down the street when I am done.

Might want to rethink that. By the time it needs changing there will be a couple pounds of grease/sludge at the bottom of the tank. Pour it in a couple of 5 gallon buckets and wait until it can be disposed of properly.

Around here, they have a hazmat recycle day twice a year. That's when I get rid of my old paint, batteries, etc.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Might want to rethink that. By the time it needs changing there will be a couple pounds of grease/sludge at the bottom of the tank. Pour it in a couple of 5 gallon buckets and wait until it can be disposed of properly.

Around here, they have a hazmat recycle day twice a year. That's when I get rid of my old paint, batteries, etc.

Yep, it won't be bio degradeable once you dilute it. Here you have to carry your HazMats to the City Haz Mat drop off station. But ,you can do it daily for home shop and household items. You get to much they'll be asking questions.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have managed to get all my **** compiled into one of the small tool boxes thanks to some harbor freight socket organizers I got today. I need to get a bigger box down the road but for now I am pretty happy with this setup, for such a small box I have alot of **** in it. The wrench drawer is a disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB