Intermediate steering shaft travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brban88

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Good evening, I am currently replacing the steering gear (power) on my ‘88 brban. I am struggling to remove the intermediate shaft from the steering gear itself. Bolt removed, free travel in the shaft itself of approx 5/8” but still lacking about that much in order to remove the intermediate shaft from the splined input shaft on the box itself. How much travel should there be in this intermediate shaft and does anyone know a trick or two if it just doesn’t want to give me ample travel??

Thanks in advance. Have a great evening.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
They are meant to be fully collapsible in the event of a front end impact. Heat and some kind of prying apparatus are your friend. Sometimes they collapse with no effort, and I’ve had some that I just cut in half with a hacksaw and replaced with the intermediate shaft out of a Jeep Cherokee (appx. 84-96). That’s the better route for sure.

Brban88

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Good evening, I am currently replacing the steering gear (power) on my ‘88 brban. I am struggling to remove the intermediate shaft from the steering gear itself. Bolt removed, free travel in the shaft itself of approx 5/8” but still lacking about that much in order to remove the intermediate shaft from the slide input shaft on the box itself. How much travel should there be in this intermediate shaft and does anyone know a trick or two if it just doesn’t want to give me ample travel??

Thanks in advance. Have a great evening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78