Steering slack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just obtained a 1985 k10 that had way too much slack in the steering. All joints were good So I tried the Usual adjustment on top of the box with the Allen stud with lock nut. That didn’t make any difference. While watch as the wheel was turned back and forth, I noticed the steering shaft moving slightly in and out of the gear box. So I used a hammer and blunt chisel to loosen the spanner nut then ran the inner nut in u till the slack was gone. Tightened the spanner nut and drove. Much better. Now if I can soften the rock hard ride.

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Check out off road design. They can make you a custom leaf pack or tough country has ez ride springs

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check out off road design. They can make you a custom leaf pack or tough country has ez ride springs

I already bought and installed skyjacker soft ride springs and it made no difference. I could weld steel tubing from the axle to the frame and I don’t think I would notice a difference

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
The Skywalker springs ride like it is welded solid (friend has them in his 77) my other budy has the tough country ez ride in his 79 equipped the same and the ride is much better. Both small block regular cab short bed trucks

I made my own leaf packs for my 86 with 454 and put real nice shocks on it (might be your issue) and drives smoothest of all 3 so a custom pack would definitely fix the issue but shocks might be a good place to start.

If your lift came with the white shocks (all of the cheap ones that come with lift nomatter the brand are the same) they are vlaved very very stiff and ride horrible. I recommend the rough country v2 shocks they are a copy of the fox 2.0 and I have then on other vehicles and love them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128