Intake gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 SQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Replacing the intake and gaskets on a 85 350 the ones I pulled off have a cutout for the center port on the intake . The replacements I have do not should I cut the replacements out for that center port . Thank you

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I wonder if they gave you the wrong set? Although I'm not familiar with the 85 intake setup. I think it still has the crossover to heat under the carburetor or throttle body. Someone with more knowledge should chime in soon.

85 SQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
These ones came with the truck there the same except that center cutout I'm sure they are the wrong ones but easily modified just want to make sure before I cut them out . Thank you

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I would recommend either cutting out the ports for the heat cross over or go exchange them for a set with them there. When I rebuilt my 454 we said the heck with it since its just a toy and installed intake gaskets without the ports for the heat cross over and it's just cold blooded enough that I'd wished I installed the gaskets that had them so it warmed up just a tad bit quicker.. If it's a daily or gets driven regularly, you'll be much happier if you put them on. I can handle a little cold blooded, but the Misses drives the ol girl and it's taking a little getting used to for her to have to sit and let it warm up and having to feather the throttle as the choke comes off. just my .02

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I just installed new intake and gaskets on mine and had the same question. I live in Texas so I didn't cut the gaskets just left them alone and installed them. Have hadx no issues with cold start even in winter here. It's not my daily tho. I just thought it's better to keep your intake cool as possible was better. Jmo

QBuff02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I just installed new intake and gaskets on mine and had the same question. I live in Texas so I didn't cut the gaskets just left them alone and installed them. Have hadx no issues with cold start even in winter here. It's not my daily tho. I just thought it's better to keep your intake cool as possible was better. Jmo

I agree with that! I saw he was from Oregon so figuring on their cold weather patterns that's why I made the recommendation for him to put them on. I live in Illinois but the truck won't get driven in the winter anymore, I can handle slightly harder starts/longer warm ups and cool night air makes an engine run mean!

Johnathan S

Reaction score
First Name
Johnathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It’s just for exhaust crossover, I think it’s to help equalize pressure and/or to help with heat distribution but I’ve ran gaskets with and without the hole and there’s not much of a difference, in my opinion if the originals have the hole than I’d make holes in the new ones

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The exhaust cross over helps with running the motor in cold weather. also some people do say that it helps with performance as the gas burns better with more heat. If you were happy with the performance and characteristic with the port open gaskets then I would replace them with the same type https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1256/overview/make/chevrolet

Also I would not advise cutting holes into the new gaskets personally as they would be more prone to split and leak.

QBuff02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
It’s just for exhaust crossover, I think it’s to help equalize pressure and/or to help with heat distribution but I’ve ran gaskets with and without the hole and there’s not much of a difference, in my opinion if the originals have the hole than I’d make holes in the new ones

It does help to equalize pressure to a degree, but it's also kind of a product of emissions. The cross over warms the intake up below the carb, tbi, injection system or whatever is on top of the manifold faster in cold weather, and warmer fuel atomizes better and burns more completely and efficiently. So the choke operates more closely to what it should and "pulls off" like it should as the intake warms up. because anyone that's played with a carburetor very much knows that once the key is turned on and the choke is set, you really only have about a minute or so of "Choke time" until the coil starts heating up and pulling the choke plate open. that's part of why those ports are there, to help get the intake warming up quicker. on a stock, or mostly stock application you probably wouldn't notice much difference in the operation of the engine between having the crossover ports open or closed. However, on an application that is more modified or when you start swapping to performance intakes and putting edgier camshafts with higher lifts and longer durations in the engine and start to get more reversion of the intake charge, you now have more unburned fuel mixing with MORE unburned fuel at low rpm until it starts warming up to temp and atomizing correctly. So we just made an engine that's a little temperamental and cold blooded even more temperamental and cold blooded until it warms up by taking those and blocking them off. Not saying that you can't tune the carb out of it but it will take some time to get those "cold starts" just right. That's the beauty of modern fuel injection, it reads the parameters of the engine and what's going down the tailpipe and just throws more fuel or air or less fuel or air to keep it in the optimum A/F range. With a carb, sometimes that can be touchy. Where I'm from in Illinois, it was 58 overnight on Thursday and tonight the overnight low is supposed to be 28. I've gotten mine tuned now just about where it needs to be, but when you can really only tune for "cold starts" for about a minute or two at a time, it took some time! Lol If the intake warmed up just a little bit quicker with the ports open it would be easier and less temperamental , but for a truck that doesn't get driven but a few times here and there when it's cold, I'm not going to sacrifice a few extra ponies. I'm keeping them blocked off.
:driver:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If your truck has stock exhaust manifolds with a heat riser valve, you will absolutely need crossover holes in the gaskets. If you don't have a heat riser valve, it's not that big a deal to seal the ports, unless you live in the frozen tundra where super cold temps are the norm on winter mornings.

Here's a high quality alternative that's designed to work with aluminum manifolds. As I recall, you can snap out the metal plate, or use it as is with the small hole.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1256/overview/

I would not use a cheap stock replacement gasket. And whatever you choose, be sure to seal the valley walls with hi-temp RTV instead of rubber or cork gaskets, And use that same RTV around the coolant ports.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk