Intake / Carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Gotta love free parts.!!
father in law gave me a edelbrock 3701 intake and a coworker gave me a holley 0-80457s 600cfm carb. aside from them being a little dirty and old they are both in good condition internal wise. One port on the passenger side of the intake has a water barb that is stuck in it and stripped so i'm going to grind it down weld it shut then drill a 1/8npt hole for a water temp gauge on the intake. put a new water neck on it, put my electric fan switch in , block off the egr port , then a 1" spacer so i can get to the vacuum ports on the bottom of the cab and let me throttle linkage fully open. other than little bugs can't complain for it all being free when it's over a $600 set up new.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hope you get all that working well together. Take some before and after pics for us. :waytogo:

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
So here's the Update on the intake/carb

Carb has been rebuilt now with all new internals including a vacuum secondary spring quick change set up to mess around with since it'll be more of a street truck, intake was primered and painted black, left the hose barb on since i need it for a heater hose, plugged all the other hole with pipe plugs and thread lock, egr is blocked off (chrome), put a o-ring water neck that has a gasket for sure seal lol(chrome), 160* copper high flow thermostat, 1" black Holley carb spacer to help clear linkages and prevent vapor lock, chrome throttle return bracket, black throttle return springs, my fuel line set up is frowned upon by some people because i have 4 fittings to do a 180* but it is also to help clear my intake so i can swivel them all different ways, i added a fitting that had a 1/8npt port to run a liquid filled Fuel Pressure gauge to watch pressure on the holley, i like how the chrome/black is collaborating together on everything, then my favorite part that i personally haven't seen on a carb vehicle yet is that i made an intake for it. i used a Spectre intake hat, 2 4" vibrant couplers, 1 6" long straight piece of tube, then a 45* bend to angle it down, topped off with a 4" filter. i personally love it and can't wait for it to be on the truck. we'll see what everyone's options are on that and other things i do to it as well. Lol in the background of the pictures you can see a big moving box that i have filled with parts that are for the new motor(excluding valve covers, harmonic balancer, gaskets, cylinder head that are all in other boxes haha)

IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170524/8870987cc22c72b809608b4db3927564.jpg[/IMG]

1badk20

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hope you get all that working well together. Take some before and after pics for us. :waytogo:

check out my post above to see my update. [emoji1360]

1badk20

2010samuel

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
adjust carb

That looks good but I have a question my truck runs good but you can smell gas so it's running rich. Should I adjust the air screw on the carb for more air or turn the gas screw down?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The adjustments should occur at the idle mixture screw if you're talking about when it's just sitting there idling. I use a vacuum gauge. You can turn them all the way in, and then back out a turn and a half. That's just to start out. Plug in the ole vacuum gauge to a manifold source and adjust to where you get the highest, most stable vacuum. Keep track of what you did on the first side and do that to the other one. If your plugs, cap, and rotor are well worn, those maybe worth replacing before you mess with the carb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1