Installing Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When you fellas install various sensors in the heads or intake, are you using any kind of sealer on the threads? Regardless of a tapered thread, cars I used to work on required just a dab - I used a toothpick with some Permatex on maybe 2 threads, leaving most untouched since they have to ground. Never had a problem - just wunnerin how you guys did it.

THX

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
When you fellas install various sensors in the heads or intake, are you using any kind of sealer on the threads? Regardless of a tapered thread, cars I used to work on required just a dab - I used a toothpick with some Permatex on maybe 2 threads, leaving most untouched since they have to ground. Never had a problem - just wunnerin how you guys did it.

THX
depends what its doing. it may ground through a wire narness, it also may through the block like you said. also, it may need to be resistant to higher temps than another spot.. or oil.. or not contaminate something.. etc

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I’ve been using ARP Teflon paste leftover from my head bolts.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Teflon tape is fine. I use liquid Teflon must faster and it works. Being a line tech time is money.
I saw a video of a guy using Loctite 242 on air fittings instead of tape and it worked perfectly. I see they have a 'liquid teflon"....sounds promising.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I may have used some Teflon tape.
dont use teflon tape when threading into weaker/less supported threads, because you can break the threads or crunch out that part of the block/head etc.
Its better to use it in liquid form, like permatex high temp thread sealant

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Never use Teflon tape on hydraulics or anything else that a piece of it can clog an orifice. Have used anerobic Teflon in a few harder to seal applications. Usually not necessary on anything SB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod