Installing hood release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
'73 chevy C10

With the release that is accessed through the grill on the front, it's way to easy to open the hood and steal the battery and whatever...

What is involved in changing the hood release so that it has to be done from inside the cab?

Or are there other options?

Is it just a matter of ordering the hood latch (LMC Part#30-1574) and Hood Release cable (LMC Part #30-1491) intended for a truck that came with a cab accessed hood release?

LINK to Hood Hardware page from LMC Truck...

Thanks,
Mark
:cheers:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The factory inside hood release setup involves a lot of specific parts. Besides the latch and cable, you also need the safety catch, the striker and plate, the upright support and the upper filler panel. And you would also need a '77-'80 grille and brackets to clear the setup.

Thieves are idiots. I'd be very surprised if any thief in this day and age, was even aware that older cars and trucks can have the hoods popped from the outside. Besides, if someone wants under your hood, chances are good they would be wiling to bust out a window to release the hood.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
The factory inside hood release setup involves a lot of specific parts. Besides the latch and cable, you also need the safety catch, the striker and plate, the upright support and the upper filler panel. And you would also need a '77-'80 grille and brackets to clear the setup.

Thieves are idiots. I'd be very surprised if any thief in this day and age, was even aware that older cars and trucks can have the hoods popped from the outside. Besides, if someone wants under your hood, chances are good they would be wiling to bust out a window to release the hood.

So there is no way to install a hood release or otherwise lock the hood without wrapping an ugly (and major hassle) cable lock or something through holes or whatever??

Also, which forum do I ask about security systems and what not?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There used to be universal hood lock kits you could buy, but I don't know where to buy one these days. Last time I looked at JC Whitney, they didn't really offer much anymore. They didn't even offer the general catalog anymore.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, electrical and audio would be the place. Or aftermarket accessories to be specific.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
There used to be universal hood lock kits you could buy, but I don't know where to buy one these days. Last time I looked at JC Whitney, they didn't really offer much anymore. They didn't even offer the general catalog anymore.

Hmmm.. I guess if I want one, I'll have to make my own.... :shrug:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah you could mount it in the cab. Under the dash would work well or you could even mount it to the kick panel where a factory release handle would go.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Friend of mine put it behind the ash tray, had to pull the bucket out to get to it, you'd never know that it would ever be there.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Friend of mine put it behind the ash tray, had to pull the bucket out to get to it, you'd never know that it would ever be there.

That's the kind of stuff I like... I've already prewired for 'three' different electrical system 'hidden switches' so that the starter circuit, ignition circuit and eventually the fuel pump circuit are disabled unless you 'know' where and how...

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I did the same on my square. I have a hidden switch that when "off" disables the ignition system and fuel pump. It will crank all day, but not fire up the motor. I forgot that I activated the switch once when parked. I felt like an idiot when I realized later after trying to start the truck......so I know it works...lol

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
I did the same on my square. I have a hidden switch that when "off" disables the ignition system and fuel pump. It will crank all day, but not fire up the motor. I forgot that I activated the switch once when parked. I felt like an idiot when I realized later after trying to start the truck......so I know it works...lol

Yeah, I want it to be so that the only thing they can do my truck is disassemble it on the spot or tow it.. They're not gonna drive it away...

Bastiges!!!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I made sure the switch was very well hidden. In addition to an obnoxiously loud alarm system (glass breakage and light bumps set it off)...it will slow thieves down a bit.

In a perfect world...a pressure sensor under the seat a 15 second time delay and a pound of c-4 would also solve theft problems. You may have noticed....I HATE THIEVES !!

Sure the truck would be sacrificed, but the thief would dissapear as well.

:signs6:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andy-14