How do I open hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
the two things my gpa doesnt have.

I HAVE THE HEADS THO. WANT SOME SMOGGER 400 HEADS? I sure as hell dont have a use for them :(

882's? At least they are the best of the smogger heads, if so.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks Bucket.

Yeah, it is a nice clean clip. I won't be able to get back to it until the first of the week. I'll see if I can get something in there to activate the lever then. I guess I'll be sure to attach some type of cable to the latch if I ever do this again.

Looks like it should be no problem to reach up behind the latch from the driver's side of the center support and pull the lever that the cable attaches to.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
wow, I guess you don't have to worry about that puppy rusting! LOL

Nope! It's ugly but it's operation is buttery smooth, lol. I've never actually lubed it either in the several years I've owned it. I don't know what lube the PO used, but it's clingy.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks like it should be no problem to reach up behind the latch from the driver's side of the center support and pull the lever that the cable attaches to.

Man that sure doesn’t look like mine, I don’t think I have the hole on the right under the latch. I’m in Colorado visiting my daughter, but I’ll check when I get home Monday

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
882's? At least they are the best of the smogger heads, if so.
I should check!

Cant see from here but I recall when I looked at the numbers on the heads my gpa had on a shelf in bags were powerpack ones for a 283 but when I looked at these ones, I recall either a steam port being present(I couldnt tell ya right now based on that pic, its also 10 degrees out rn) or the numbers coming back as a late 70s 400 (Meaning they probably, my assumptions, came from the 78 k10's original 400)

However, it confused me because my trucks original 350 is the one without heads sitting upright in the back of the shed. Unless he got rid of them or i havent found them yet, It mildly confuses lol. But Ill have to check some numbers to be sure. The head on the left, to my best research, either goes to a tractor or a old inline engine that I couldnt figure out yet. But the two covered partially by the wheel are the ones I was referring to.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I should check!

Cant see from here but I recall when I looked at the numbers on the heads my gpa had on a shelf in bags were powerpack ones for a 283 but when I looked at these ones, I recall either a steam port being present(I couldnt tell ya right now based on that pic, its also 10 degrees out rn) or the numbers coming back as a late 70s 400 (Meaning they probably, my assumptions, came from the 78 k10's original 400)

However, it confused me because my trucks original 350 is the one without heads sitting upright in the back of the shed. Unless he got rid of them or i havent found them yet, It mildly confuses lol. But Ill have to check some numbers to be sure. The head on the left, to my best research, either goes to a tractor or a old inline engine that I couldnt figure out yet. But the two covered partially by the wheel are the ones I was referring to.

The 882's were used on 350 and 400, so they can be found with and without steam holes. If no steam holes, you can drill them for use on a 400. It can be tedious though due to hard spots from all those heat cycles over the years. Average drill bits may die in a hurry.

That new trailer fender looks out of place, amongst all the cool old stuff. The porta power does too, but that's ok... it's a porta power, after all.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The 882's were used on 350 and 400, so they can be found with and without steam holes. If no steam holes, you can drill them for use on a 400. It can be tedious though due to hard spots from all those heat cycles over the years. Average drill bits may die in a hurry.

That new trailer fender looks out of place, amongst all the cool old stuff. The porta power does too, but that's ok... it's a porta power, after all.
Yeah I’m not sure what the fender was for. There is a lawn tractor differential which came from auction. It’s hard to discern what was important and what was forgotten the minute it wsd put on a shelf. The pull ram you mean? It’s new in box, prob10-20 years old. Not sure what it was going to be used for but I figured since I’ll eventually fix my skid steer it’s a good thing to keep around and one day might put quick connect fittings for the plow on square and then could use either for that. The skid steer has a third pedal and 2 hookups on the arm for auxiliary attachments like a claw bucket or similar. I don’t have any of those but one day that pull ram could be handy.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

the two heads dont match numbers but were with eachother and say 72(1972?)
@bucket

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed82k20