Installing a th400 from mid 60’s BOP w/ switch pitch in 86 C10 HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Going off that book, the only way to really tell is by looking at the stator shaft splines.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
He said it's a fresh rebuild. I'd ask the rebuilder. They should have noticed the extra wire running all the way from the pump to the connector on the side of the case. And they would have probably had the original convertor rebuilt. I dont think the switch pitch convertors are an off the shelf item.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I’ll try and talk with the rebuilder tomorrow, will know more then thanks for the help

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I apologize for something I was mistakenly called a switch pitch, but how else do we learn. My th400 is just a regular transmission, there are 2 prong kick down switch unless my transmission guy misunderstood me. He said to just not use the kick down at all and to downshift manually for passing gear, well not sure I’m going for that but it will work without harming the transmission. So tomorrow I will run a vacuum hose to the modulator valve and take her out for a spin. Thanks again for all the help, just a learning curve, for me.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The switch pitch 400 was used in Buick, Olds, and Cadillac from 64-67. You can identify it by shorter splines on the stator support shaft, or by the solenoid on the back of the pump. Remove the pan, if the second wire goes to a pressure switch on the valve body, it’s not a switch pitch. The switch pitch was discontinued because of added cost, as some people complained about the whirring sound the converter made on the high stall position. The converter also isn’t the most durable design, from what I have heard about 550-600hp is really pushing your luck.

Most people adding a switch pitch wire the high stall on a push button, and also on the brake light circuit. When your on the brakes at a stoplight, the converter is on the high stall setting, and the engine will idle better if you have a manly camshaft.

You can convert a switch pitch to a standard 400 by changing the forward clutch, pump, and ideally the valve body. There were some hydraulic changes made to compliment the switch pitch converter. There is a good article on the V8buick site, the article is by Mark DeConti).

Last edited:

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks nice to know, I appreciate the help I guess if mine is not a switch pitch I have a 2wire knock down switch

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I apologize for something I was mistakenly called a switch pitch, but how else do we learn. My th400 is just a regular transmission, there are 2 prong kick down switch unless my transmission guy misunderstood me. He said to just not use the kick down at all and to downshift manually for passing gear, well not sure I’m going for that but it will work without harming the transmission. So tomorrow I will run a vacuum hose to the modulator valve and take her out for a spin. Thanks again for all the help, just a learning curve, for me.

o_O

WTF?

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Got the 85 off the stands today and out for a spin, everything is working great . No new vibrations I thought the new driveshaft would take care of the old vibration not the problem, might be a bent wheel I have two ready to install tomorrow also putting in a new seat and carpet. Are there any post on bringing the dash pad and door cards back from the dead, the past owner put a 1/2 dozen 3/8 self tapping screws in the door panels so he could use the grab handles to close the doors looks like someone had used them for target practice.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Been driving the 85 around transmission is shifting fine great project just got interior parts fro LMC will post after picTures soon

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Try flipping the driveshaft 180 degrees in the U-Joint mount. Sometimes you get lucky and can tune out a vibration, you may improve it by clicking the converter differently on the flexplate. Of course, if the tires or wheels are bent or out of balance, it probably isn’t going to change anything

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8