Installing a th400 from mid 60’s BOP w/ switch pitch in 86 C10 HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yes I don’t want to burn up anything

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wonder if there is an explanation as to how this set up was put together originally in 1965.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
But is the trans actually a switch pitch? The 2-wire connector could just mean it's from a car that originally had the 3rd gear spark control setup, like the one in that link that was posted.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
There was a multifuction switch that connected to the throttle linkage. Bottom right in this pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yes, I’ve been on a old Buick thread and what I have seen and read the picture you have is correct it is a multifunction switch that works off both vacuum and electric to control the wot and the idle speed of the torque converter. Quite an interesting read though, I’m still trying to figur it all out. I think there is a aftermarket switch that will work like I want it to, it is as close to the original set up as I can find.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Both Lokar and B&M make a switch to make this trans work like it was originally designed to, I’ll probably go that route. Nice talking with you, I will post info on the performance after I get the switch hooked up. This transmission is really quite popular in drag racing I have found a few blogs where they were installing them in GM trucks.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Wow, that's really good news. I didn't know anyone was making a reproduction switch for them. That's 100% the way to go!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe I'm lost here... But is this still a discussion about how to hook up a switch pitch trans, when we do not know if it IS a switch pitch trans? By the original description, it likely is not.

But I do not know how to identify a switch pitch trans anyway and I might have misread something here. So if that's the case, please disregard my ignorance.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
There is indents in the pan that look like a heel print and dimples to confirm that it is a switch pitch as well as the two prong switch on the drivers side of the transmission. We have flooding conditions here as soon as it stops raining I will get her back on the road and send in an update. This is a very interesting transmission that is a very rare find ( accidentally) I was looking for a th 400 and did not know it was a switch pitch ( neither did the man I bought it from) I have a close friend that has been rebuilding transmissions (2nd generation) and still family run, will talk with him Monday and have everything verified. I know this has been recently rebuilt I need to pull the pan and verify that it’s still has all the parts to actually work as it was originally. Thanks for all the help, I have been searching the internet all day yesterday and trying to confirm what this is there is a I’d tag on the passenger side of the transmission that will also tell me what it came out of.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I’m wrong if the first 2 numbers on the I’d tag ar the year it’s a 1973 they only made the switch pitch in 1965. It’s kind of hard getting the pictures needed to identify this transmission he pan does not have the heel print either so maybe the two prong connection is a kick down switch more confused now than before

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I dug up my THM400 book and looked up the relevant sections. Hope you can read them.

Hope you find something useful in there.

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks, still trying to decode the tag, I might have the later trans with emission plugs may just hook up the vacuum hose and take her for a spin

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
But is the trans actually a switch pitch? The 2-wire connector could just mean it's from a car that originally had the 3rd gear spark control setup, like the one in that link that was posted.

Looks like it.

No heel on the pan. Tag should read "Super Turbine 400"

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those bumps in the pan look like they just hold the filter away from the bottom. I've only got the deep style pans to compare to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL