Importance of charcoal (Evap) canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The 5 port cannisters are available. Got one a couple months ago. Old one was causing a lean idle from a vacuum leak. Used the part number on the cannister for an internet search. Can't remember how much but it didn't break the bank.
For anyone that has a missing canister can you post your PN# and manufacture if you know?

The NAPA version for the 80's trucks PN# CRB 229805 has been out of stock for something like two year now. I can see doing a websearch there are some kicking around, but IDK I don't think they are actually making them anymore.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looked at my receipts. Does appear it is old stock. Top link is where I got it.

Found this as well, much for much less.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Would it be a worthwhile exercise to fit a clear plastic inline filter into the vacucuum hose? At least it would stop the charcoal particles entering the carb and any problems would be visable.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

Thanks for that. I have my canister but it's just getting to the point where I'll get a little odor now and then so I think it's getting near the end of it's life. I was just gearing up to do a 3 line conversion. The PO switched the truck to an edelbrock, and even though I'd rather have a Q-jet I'm not going to pull a perfect running Eddie. So I can't use the bowl vent line but that can be capped off. Anyhow I may order an old stocker. Thanks for that info.
Would it be a worthwhile exercise to fit a clear plastic inline filter into the vacucuum hose? At least it would stop the charcoal particles entering the carb and any problems would be visable.
I assume you'd wanna put the filter in the purge line then? IDK I remember one guy saying that the vacuum crushed his plastic inline filter. I would say given how rare it is for a canister to blow it's charcoal into the purge line that it's not worth while. But if it makes you feel more comfortable maybe one of those glass filters known for leaking gas would work, in the purge line.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

So the E-bay link showed 3 available and I decided to pull the trigger and buy one for myself since I know mine is going to need to be replaced soon. I didn't get the one from maridyar, BC I've never heard of them and there don't seem to be any reviews. With their super low price it just seems fishy to me.

So there are now 2 left from that E-bay seller.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@fast 99 So I took delivery of my new charcoal canister at the end of last week. My main issue with the old canister was when it would get over 80F, and I had one or both tanks full or near full I'd get fuel smell. Sometimes in the truck, but mostly I'd just smell it outside the truck. Well we are in the 90's a couple days this week, today and tomorrow, with Thursday and Friday in the upper 80's. This morning I had two empty tanks, so at lunch I went about installing the new canister. I decided to replace all the vacuum lines and purge line from the canister as the old ones were @Redfish looking like hammered goat chit. Actually they weren't that bad, I just kind of felt like if I was doing the canister I should do the lines too. The drive home tonight, with two full tanks there was no smell at all of gas. A couple of pictures.

First picture below: The canister. This is 5 or 6 port canister depending on how you set it up. That black knob looking thing at the top middle of the picture is vent. It can be left like it is and used as a 5 port canister, or that little black knob will pop off, under it is a 3/8" connection, which can be connected to some factory air cleaner housings. My air cleaner housing is equipped for that so I popped the cap off. Because the former owner replaced the Q-jet with an Edelbrock I don't have a bowl vent line, so on that tee of ports in the midway on the canister I simply plugged that port off with a rubber cap. More on how to make a charcoal function correctly without the factory controls will be at the bottom.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is installed below:

Ran the lines up to the manifold in the factory way. I need to get a larger wiring loom so I can have all the vacuum lines nestled in it.

Over view below:

My last comment, I often see where guys will change carburetors, or the factory thermostatic vacuum switches quit working and guys just ditch the canister or leave it in there but with most of the lines disconnect rendering it non-functional. It's really simple to hook up a 5 or even 6 line canister regardless of the carb or what has been changed. Vapor line from gas tank hooks to port marked vapor on canister. The port marked manifold vacuum gets connected to any manifold vacuum source, I've had it teed into the manifold source on the carburetor. The port marked bowl vent, gets hooked to the carburetors bowl vent, if there is no port for a bowl vent line on the carb simply plug it off on the canister. If the air cleaner housing has a 3/8" connection sticking out the drivers side, then pop the cap off the port marked air and run a line between the two. If there is no port on the air cleaner housing simply leave the cap in place on the canister. We have one port left marked control. The control port controls when the canister purges. Simply put any time vacuum is applied to the control port the canister will purge. It purges though the line marked PCV, a fringe benefit to this is the fuel vapor being sucked though the PCV line helps to keep the line clear. From the factory the control line went to one of the thermostatic vacuum switches so that the canister would not purge until the engine was warmed up. Some trucks had a delay valve to in the line as well so you'd have to be a cruise for a few seconds before purge would occur. Since the PO took off most of the vacuum controls on my truck I've simply had the control line teed into the ported vacuum on the carburetor. That's how I had the old canister set up and the new one is like this as well. It's just a simplified purge set up to tee in like that.

Well guys I didn't realize how much I would write, is it worth while for me to make this to be thread of it's own?

Attachments

• 20220830_191137.jpg
    20220830_191137.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
I ordered one of the canisters, but is not the same PN, nor the correct number of ports that most of my trucks use. Is yours (or mine before I send it back) strictly for carb equipped vehicles 1986 and earlier? Most of my trucks are 1988 and on, all with TBI.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I ordered one of the canisters, but is not the same PN, nor the correct number of ports that most of my trucks use. Is yours (or mine before I send it back) strictly for carb equipped vehicles 1986 and earlier? Most of my trucks are 1988 and on, all with TBI.
I'm going to pull your quote into a thread I created earlier today on general canister info.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Try a pick and pull. The one near me has 20 or more of the TBI trucks. Those cannisters are much simpler design. I believe most are a single outlet. As long as the cannister hasn't been flooded there isn't much that can fail.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Autozone has the two port, in stock. $111.99

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Not needed, all it does is clean up the fumes that vent from the gas tank. Cut the line off, put a small breather on it like a one way valve for venting a diff and be done with it. Cleaner engine bay, shave a couple pounds of dead weight off the truck, save yourself $100, and now one less thing to fail in the future.

Just my thoughts, obviously some have different opinions, but yeah. The truck will run fine without it, and now the additional pollution you're causing is probably equivalent to the difference of whether two drips or three drips of gas come out of the pump as you hang it back up. And that hits the pavement and washes away into the ground when it rains, this is literally just fumes coming from the tank we're talking about. Ever accidentally leave the cap off a gas jug overnight? That's probably worse than not running a charcoal can.
Sooooooo .......
If I do the above recommendation, can I use a 2 port sending unit instead of a 3 port one like my OEM set-up?
I'm fixin' to buy a SU for my new gas tank and if I don't need the canister and extra port, why buy it. Can I just use the 2 port version?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Sooooooo .......
If I do the above recommendation, can I use a 2 port sending unit instead of a 3 port one like my OEM set-up?
I'm fixin' to buy a SU for my new gas tank and if I don't need the canister and extra port, why buy it. Can I just use the 2 port version?
No the two port takes away the return line not the vapor line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue