id rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
need help! I posted a thread about my 1987 1/2 ton 4x4. When shifted in 4 hi and or 4 lo it rolls rough. Well I had a friend watch my rear tires when I was in 4 wheel drive. He noticed that it looked like one of the wheels wanted to turn quicker. He advised me to jack up the rearend, place it in neutral and spin one of the rear tires and watch what the other tire does. I first spun the drivers rear counter clock wise, the passenger tire spun clock wise. I then spun the driver rear clock wise and nothing happened. I then spun the passenger rear tire counter clock wise , the driver rear spun clock wise. Can any body tell me what type of rear end my truck has. Is this normal? If not what needs to be done? thanks Mike

chevydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
hunt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
It is open dif If was not then both would spin the same way. Open dif help you with turning So yes it is perfectly normal.

dirtroadoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
It is open dif If was not then both would spin the same way. Open dif help you with turning So yes it is perfectly normal.

Well, that depends on which locker you have, bro. A gov-bomb will do just like that for example. Go to jerking and snatching on it and you can get a gov-loc to lock but yours is probably open because of the behavior that you have described.... or a broken gov-loc.

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks to all

Well that is good news! That it is normal and that I have a open differental. As far as engaging the 4 wheel drive. Can I shift on the fly? If so how fast should can I be going? I know in low it is just for creeping low speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
personally i would not engage 4x4 on the fly its not good for the T-case the manufacture tells you to first go into neutral and then 4x4 and vice versa if you do do it on the fly you can do it at about 15 mph

dirtroadoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Just don't do it on the fly. Askmg for TC trouble.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As said already, you could still have a broke gov lock carrier in the axle. Damage would be done by now, so just drive it. You're not hurting it anymore than already is, IF it's a G80. You could look up your axle code in the Library too.

SOF depends on the Tcase too, but most of us prefer manual hubs, so you'd have to stop anyway.

mike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
thank you for the information. Does any body have any pics and or information on how to change front u joints, and i would like to change to manual hubs? thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
thank you for the information. Does any body have any pics and or information on how to change front u joints, and i would like to change to manual hubs? thanks

It would be nice if we had a Pictoral Write up on a front U Joint Swap. That's another we don't have yet.

You are aware you don't have to swap U-Joint to change to manual locking hubs right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krytza9911