I-Talian Tune UP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Seafoam is okay. Like You did, let the SF flood out the enjun and let it die. Then the secret, let it soak for a half an hour or fifteen minutes, fire it up and run the rest of the can through.
Carbon stuck under the valves gets soaked and blowed away.
Something an instructor at a emissions class once told us.
A pop bottle, filled about 1/2 way up with ATF and topped up with water.
Shake it up real good and feed that solution down the throat of the beast, keep shaking it and pouring. When it gets so there is between 1/2 and 1/3 left, sort of flood the engine with the mix and let the engine die. Let the engine set for twenty minutes or so then fire it up and finish pouring in tje rest of the solution.
Works every time for my old junkers.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
One thing to add, make sure the engine is HOT before doing any of this. Just starting it up cold and trying any of these isn't very effective, you want it to be good and hot beforehand.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
We used to say blowing the spiders out by opening up the secondaries on the 4 barrel carb(like no one did driving around town).
Where does Marvel Mystery Oil come in here? I remember dumping a can in and soaking the top end for a couple of days - bringing back an old junk yard I6.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
We used to say blowing the spiders out by opening up the secondaries on the 4 barrel carb(like no one did driving around town).
Where does Marvel Mystery Oil come in here? I remember dumping a can in and soaking the top end for a couple of days - bringing back an old junk yard I6.

You go get the engine nice and hot by driving it for at least 10ish miles and some full throttle pulls, then you bring it back and dump some MMO or seafoam in the engine oil, then pull the hose to the PCV and let the hose suck a little bit into the intake at a time for about 30 seconds. Plug the vaccuum hose back in and do some full throttle revs. Then pull the line to the pcv again and slowly pour some in and then give it a heavy bunch of fluid to stall it out. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes or more. Then start it back up and let it run at 1500-2000 rpm with some quick throttle blips to open the secondaries until it stops dumping huge amounts of smoke out the exhaust.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Sitting is the worst thing that can happen to older vehicles. Crap in the fuel, lines, filters, etc etc, just makes it's way into the carb and elsewhere. Ethanol makes things worse. If you do not run a motor that has had older types of oils in it and was perhaps not changed often then it is easy for the sludge to stick to the valves, valve faces, piston faces, etc etc and as the engine cools it turns into tar and eventually hardens and makes stuff stick or wipes bearings and rollers. The italian tune-up helps because the idea is you are going out and warming the motor up and then providing it runs well enough you are running the engine at it's max peak efficiency, which means making power. It blows out the crap to some degree.

Another reason I love propane power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl