I need help buying my tools for class at school

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bunkvegas

Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
My Little bro is starting school next month and craftsman gives students a 20% discount. Maybe it is a sears thing where he is getting his tools but you could always check into it. We all have craftsman and use them on the farm and hell they have worked just fine.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Well, remember you won't need most of those sizes. You will rarely use anything bigger than 24mm, or 1 inch when working on most cars.

I know I had to use a 1 1/4 socket on a flywheel nut on 25hp briggs engine and T45 socket on briggs exhaust bolts on a vanguard engine.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Your ideal set will be:

1/8-3/8 - 1/4 drive
4-11mm - 1/4 drive
3/8-3/4 - 3/8 drive
10-16mm - 3/8 drive

Anything larger, get 1/2 drive.

It would be a good idea, to me anyway, to get bot 6 and 12 point, shallow and deep.

Most fasteners will be 6 point, but some cars do use 12 points. But using a 12 point socket on a 6 point fastener can result in rounding the fastener off if you're not careful.

PLUS. If you work in auto repair, most shops do flat rate and time is money. You can't go to the store or wait for the tool truck to replace a broken socket. If you have a set of 6 point and 12 point in each of the above sizes, and you break one, you have the other to fall back on and keep working.

That just goes to show every tech has its own opinion on what they like to use. Doesnt mean 1 is wrong or 1 is right. I personally like haveing the bigger sockets on 3/8 drive, But then again I use air tools atleast 90% of the time. I hate having to get the 1/2" drive out. my 3/8" impacts are 8-24 mm, honstly its a waste to go that high I would defintly agree that they need to go to 20 mm.

When working under a dash i use 1/4" so I like my sets to go to 15mm.
Only time I use my 1/2" drive is when I am working on suspention, and steering. my 1/2" goes 10-36mm MOST SOCKETS dont get used on automotive side but I also work on heavy trucks and equipment so its nice to go that big for the big ****.
My 3/8" drive has always been my go to set so I like it 8-24mm, 8 out of 10 times 19 or 20mm is the biggest I NEED for the 3/8".

I would agree that SAE are ALMOST a waste of money anymore, hell I dont use any SAE unless its on OLD farm equipment

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The 1inch socket needed in a socket set doesnt have to be in 3/8 drive.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Went to Sears to see what toolboxes they had. Walked back out when they told me that all they offer is 30 day warranty on the toolboxes. Plus the prices were higher than the US General box from harbor frieght. Went to lowes and there getting to put all there colored boxes on clearance to make room for the newer model toolboxes and they offer a 3 year warranty with there toolboxes. The US General box has a 90 day warranty.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
There should be a law against any manufacturer of anything made outside of the U.S. naming their crap something that insinuates it was made in America, when actually it is more than likely Chinese. Makes me nuckin futs! :crazy:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
There should be a law against any manufacturer of anything made outside of the U.S. naming their crap something that insinuates it was made in America, when actually it is more than likely Chinese. Makes me nuckin futs! :crazy:

Will post response in the off topic.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
First thing is to ditch those ratchets. Get you some SOs. Those c-man rats are THE WORST.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

davbell22602