I need help buying my tools for class at school

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
1 inch is too big for 3/8s drive anyway, I'd get a 1/2 drive for anything bigger than 13/16.

If you're really wanting to pinch some pennies, go to a local pawn shop or ten and pick through their loose tool bins. Look for Snap On, Cornwell, USA made Mac, older Matco, old Kobalt, Wright, Proto, Challenger, USA Husky, Craftsman, KD, S-K, Par-X, any old USA brand. You can build your socket set for under $10...Maybe under $5 if you're good.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I need a bigger set that has sockets, ratchets, and extensions. I gotta have 3/8 drive sockets up to a inch. Plus torx sockets up to a T65. Who makes Pittsburgh and GTI socket sets?

As I said above, I wouldn't use 3/8s drive for anything bigger than 3/4 and even then you're just asking for busted knuckles.

Definitely go with SO for your Torx and Hex set.

If you were living here Dave and worked on rust free cars as I do, I would recommend using Pittsburgh or GTI. Alas, you will be working on rusty cars so spend the coin and get something a little better. Go check S-K if you have an Advanced Auto nearby.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You can't always go by the book here, if they say you need a 3/8s set that goes up to 1", then you need to take the initiative and go against the book. Your hands, arms, knuckles, face and others around you that could get hit with flying shrapnel from a broken socket will thank you.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The only time you should use a 3/8s drive 13/16 socket on a car is when you change spark plugs on something that takes that uses that size plug.

Here's S-Ks site. http://www.skhandtool.com/ I know Advanced Auto sells them now along with a few others.

You can also check out Duralast at Autozone, they are supposed to be better quality now.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The only time you should use a 3/8s drive 13/16 socket on a car is when you change spark plugs on something that takes that uses that size plug.

Here's S-Ks site. http://www.skhandtool.com/ I know Advanced Auto sells them now along with a few others.

You can also check out Duralast at Autozone, they are supposed to be better quality now.

Ok, I also need 3/8 metric thats same as 1/4 to a inch too.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You're going to want a set of Metric set from 6-20mm. The ONLY reason I have this size of 3/8s set is because I am completely anal and out of my mind. For my 3/8s tools, the most used I have are 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm.

And again, for most 15mm and above fasteners, step up to 1/2 drive or you will hurt yourself.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Your ideal set will be:

1/8-3/8 - 1/4 drive
4-11mm - 1/4 drive
3/8-3/4 - 3/8 drive
10-16mm - 3/8 drive

Anything larger, get 1/2 drive.

It would be a good idea, to me anyway, to get bot 6 and 12 point, shallow and deep.

Most fasteners will be 6 point, but some cars do use 12 points. But using a 12 point socket on a 6 point fastener can result in rounding the fastener off if you're not careful.

PLUS. If you work in auto repair, most shops do flat rate and time is money. You can't go to the store or wait for the tool truck to replace a broken socket. If you have a set of 6 point and 12 point in each of the above sizes, and you break one, you have the other to fall back on and keep working.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Your ideal set will be:

1/8-3/8 - 1/4 drive
4-11mm - 1/4 drive
3/8-3/4 - 3/8 drive
10-16mm - 3/8 drive

Anything larger, get 1/2 drive.

It would be a good idea, to me anyway, to get bot 6 and 12 point, shallow and deep.

Most fasteners will be 6 point, but some cars do use 12 points. But using a 12 point socket on a 6 point fastener can result in rounding the fastener off if you're not careful.

PLUS. If you work in auto repair, most shops do flat rate and time is money. You can't go to the store or wait for the tool truck to replace a broken socket. If you have a set of 6 point and 12 point in each of the above sizes, and you break one, you have the other to fall back on and keep working.

I'll have to ask the teacher tomorrow if some the sockets up to 1inch and equilvant to in metric can be in 1/2in drive.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
They're pretty much the same anymore since Mac has gone so far downhill. But they are good for the casual user.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
There aren't too many T65 fasteners out there. Some Subarus, I think.

You might have to pick that one up separate...But I really wouldn't worry about it. You might run across one once every a year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dob555