I need help buying my tools for class at school

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What do you guys know about the Silver Eagle brand sold by Matco? That socket bit i got is silver eagle.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
That's why when I buy new, I only buy Wright, S-K and Cornwell. Both Wright and Cornwell tools are all made in Ohio. S-K is all U.S.A. now as well. I think Wright's quality is actually better than Snap On on the sockets. I still like SO ratchets though.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
That's why when I buy new, I only buy Wright, S-K and Cornwell. Both Wright and Cornwell tools are all made in Ohio. S-K is all U.S.A. now as well. I think Wright's quality is actually better than Snap On on the sockets. I still like SO ratchets though.

This last craftsman socket set is last one I'm probably gonna buy after seeing flea market quality ratchets in the set.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yeah, they are pulling a Lowes and slowly phasing out the U.S.A. made tools and bringing in China and Taiwan made ones. It's very sad. I will still get older C-Man sockets when I find them, if I break one, I go find more at the pawn shop for a few cents each.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Yeah, they are pulling a Lowes and slowly phasing out the U.S.A. made tools and bringing in China and Taiwan made ones. It's very sad. I will still get older C-Man sockets when I find them, if I break one, I go find more at the pawn shop for a few cents each.

Maybe I should hit my pawn shop here in town for extra sockets and tools made my snapon matco etc.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Shop around and make sure to compare prices. There are some pawn shops around here that sell Snap On tools for TWICE of retail. But there are times you can get some VERY good deals. I bought a nice U.S.A. made MAC 1/2 ratchet with handle for $5, it needed a rebuild kit, FREE from Mac.

Paw through the loose tool bins. Grab U.S.A. made sockets when you can.

I keep a list of what sizes I need in my wallet, I refer to it when I look through the sockets.

And if you find any PLOMB, PAR-X, PROTO-PLOMB, Mac tools that say SABINA on them; Wright tools that say BARBERTON on them and Herbrand tools that say FREMONT on them. I collect those and will buy them from you but don't pay a lot for them, they aren't worth much except to me. :)

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
par x, the old snap on private label, got two sets of those wrenchs, and a couple sets of sockets, last one i broke the snap om kid didn;t even know they used to be sold by them, of course the tools are older than he is

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Shop around and make sure to compare prices. There are some pawn shops around here that sell Snap On tools for TWICE of retail. But there are times you can get some VERY good deals. I bought a nice U.S.A. made MAC 1/2 ratchet with handle for $5, it needed a rebuild kit, FREE from Mac.

Paw through the loose tool bins. Grab U.S.A. made sockets when you can.

I keep a list of what sizes I need in my wallet, I refer to it when I look through the sockets.

And if you find any PLOMB, PAR-X, PROTO-PLOMB, Mac tools that say SABINA on them; Wright tools that say BARBERTON on them and Herbrand tools that say FREMONT on them. I collect those and will buy them from you but don't pay a lot for them, they aren't worth much except to me. :)

Ok, I'll check the pawn shop here town. I only have one that sells individual sockets that i know of.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I went to the pawn shop. They sell there sockets for $1.50 each. Here's what brands I saw Easco, Fleet, Husky, Napa, SP, Kobalt, Craftsman, SK tool, Sk wayne, and thorsen.

I bought some of the older craftsman sockets, any sktool/wayne socket, 1 thorsen 1 1/16 socket, and any kobalt impact socket that was there.

They had 3/8 air impact wrench by matco but they wanted $40 for it.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
$1.50 a socket? Ouch.

Any sizes you need? I'll root through my extras and what I have I can send to you. :waytogo:

I like my Fleet sockets, but they haven't been in business since the 70s. S-K Wayne is 50-60s, love them.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
$1.50 a socket? Ouch.

Any sizes you need? I'll root through my extras and what I have I can send to you. :waytogo:

I like my Fleet sockets, but they haven't been in business since the 70s. S-K Wayne is 50-60s, love them.

Anything in 12 point in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive in regular or impact sockets. I'll take 6pt in 1/4 impact sockets too.

Is easco sockets any good?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Easco is very good. They made C-Man sockets (E-E series) in the 80s and they were very good quality.

I'll dig through my extras this weekend and see what I can come up with for you.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Easco is very good. They made C-Man sockets (E-E series) in the 80s and they were very good quality.

I'll dig through my extras this weekend and see what I can come up with for you.

What about the napa sockets? What is SP and are any good? Is SP snap on?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dancuvelier