I made it home anyway.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
i also am fond of junk 97 s10 fuel tank lost a strap so i had half the strap i only filled it halfway up lol eventually put a rachet strap on it tjats when i npticed there was nothing left of my ujoint the 2 yolks just hit.each other and thats what was driving it i think there was 1 cab mount left you turned to fast the cab would start sliding off the frame. oh yea and tje drame was rusted through under front fender and behind the cab but hey ac and heat worked great!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
damn what happened to my spellcheck!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
also had a 1990 celica fwd beater it was great pulled my buddies 96 chevy 2500 6 miles into a gas station it also pulled his dead fourwheeler out of a chisled snow covered field! a small fishing boat out of the creek they couldnt paddle up then across a chiseled field with the boat upside down covering half the windows strapped with a pair of jumper cables then 5 miles back to town best car ive probably ever owned and made money on!

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Punctuation help left, too
yea i get that alot just have to read slow and add it in where you see fit.
did younread the dumb sh** i do you think i know where to put a comma,

Jethro224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had a 68 C10. 307/3 on the tree.
The seat bolts were rusted clear out of the floor. The doors would fly open going around corners. If you opened both doors at the same time they wouldn't close until you "squatted" the cab roof and had a buddy slam one.
No turn signals or brake lights and a tailgater right on my ass and I had to turn. Just went ahead and swing the corner at about 25 mph. Door flew open and seat with me on it slid halfway out. Had to stop and shove the seat back in.

So I fixed the tail lights and drove it from Peoria, IL to Wichita.
By the time I got there I had burnt a valve and melted or ripped 4 plug wires and used 15 quarts of oil. It would still go 40 to the wood but sounded terrible.
Had to walk to the part store the next morning, she wouldn't start.

One of many. I drive junk too.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
yea i get that alot just have to read slow and add it in where you see fit.
did younread the dumb sh** i do you think i know where to put a comma,
^Thats ******* funny!! Cheers bud!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
****, where to start.
The funniest was probably in high school. Me, my gf, a buddy and some other girl take a road trip up to Lacrosse WI to “visit” buddy’s older sister that was going to UW LaCrosse.
All in my 70 Impala. 80-90 mph flying up there, road sodas flowing....
Bout 30 miles out of Lacrosse, sounds like something blew up under the hood. Car gets louder than it already was with Flowmaster 40s.
Blew Half the base plate spacer Out from under the carb. No vacuum, won’t idle, timing all jacked up.
Limp into town and hit a Napa right before they close. Buy a new base plate and borrow a 9/16 wrench from inside. Promised to leave the wrench under the door mat when I was done.
Buddy has his head under the hood w me and wants to help cause he’s A. Drunk. B. Trying to impress the other girl and C. Doesn’t know a spark plug from a freeze plug. Actually couldn’t have even told you what either were for or if they even belonged on an engine!
He’s bugging me, so when I pop the e clips off the throttle and choke linkages, I tell him to hold them and DO NOT lose them or the car will never run again! Lol. He holds them with all his might. See him open his hand up and check they’re still there a couple times in the 15 min it takes me to fix the carb. (Remember, drunk)
I get it back together and ask him for the first clip. He carefully hands it to me and as I push it on, it slips and ricocheted around and straight down choke! Gone!
The look on his face was absolutely priceless!!
I played it up for a minute and then told him F it, didn’t need that part anyways. Buttoned it up and off we went. Partied all weekend, long story not appropriate for mixed company. Good weekend!!
We made it anyway!
Btw pretty sure the clip ended up in cyl #7. Had a nice scratch in the cyl when I did a top end a couple years later.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Same car, built 400/TH 350, few years later, nice and restored but had brake issues. I was away at college and limited on what I could (wanted) to work on in the parking lot.
My GF at the time, with a nice newer S15 4x4 Jimmy decides she’s coming down from Chicago to visit despite there being a major blizzard in central IL.
She makes it about 50 miles, freeway closed, she ends up at a motel in the lobby. Calls me freaked out that she’s stuck there, her parents are pissed off at her etc.
wants me to come get her!
Great, blizzard, fast car, fat 275 wide summer tires and one front brake froze up and both back brakes inoperable, master cyl is blowing by internally.
Drove that thing like 80 miles in a white out on mostly glare ice and when no ice, snow drifts. Car won’t hardly start moving because one front wheel is locked up on ice and if I actually touch the brakes, the other side locks up!
Got there, locked the doors, told hotel mgr it wasn’t moving until the roads thawed, please don’t plow it in. Hopped in the GMC and hauled ass back to Champaign busting drifts and doing power slides.
Made about $200 pulling people out of the ditch on the way back and “saved” the gf from all the creepers in the hotel!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Same car (I’m seeing a trend here...)
Driving back down to Champaign on Super Bowl Sunday from home. Gotta get back before the game. Party time!
Stop for fuel in my hometown and grab a half rack of Icehouse to get primed for the big game.
Roads are clear, mostly. Flying down I 57 or whatever it was, bout 5 beers deep tunes jammin, don’t see the patch of ice under an overpass. Hit that right as a mashed the skinny pedal to pass some old fart in a squarebody Chevy. (No ****, true story)
The Simultaneous lane change, acceleration and a good posi ensure that the car immediately swaps ends and I’m now pointed north heading south at about 80mph!
As soon as it started, I hit dry pavement, car finishes a full 360 rotation and as it comes around I hit the gas again and on down the road. No beer was spilt and no Chevys were harmed that day!
Made it back in time for the game and a killer party at our apartment.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Will leave the next couple dozen stupid Human tricks out of the discussion for now!
But one stroke of bad luck almost kept us from moving out west. Just graduated, married and started new job in Albuquerque. Me and my new bride, same gal now 25 years later.....her in the S15 Jimmy and me in my Z71 with an 18’ utility trailer piled full of all HER **** (I had already made 1 trip down there with my impala and most of my stuff )
Packing the trailer my dad says you better leave your rollaway today chest at the back of the trailer so you can get to it if you need it. (Dad was real smart. I was just unaware how smart until the next day!)
We leave bright n early. Get to S side of Chicago, blow a trailer tire, mangle a fender, in a construction zone, fun.
Get that behind us and about 15 miles later whack a big pothole and snap the u bolts on one side trailer axle! (Opposite fender, so now they match, both fcked up now)
Jack it up move axle back and get one u bolt and a ratchet strap around it and limp to an exit.
Fortunately there’s a trailer shop there (literally, no internet smart phone stuff). They say they’ll fix it cheap and put on a new tire. Great!
We go eat since it’s now 6 hours since we left and we are under 100 miles into the trip....
Go get the trailer, pulling out of the parking lot and now wife is not behind me. Do a fcking 3 mile lap to get turned around (trailer) and she’s still in the parking lot smoke coming out from under the hood of the Jimmy! ****! Good thing tool box is at the back of the trailer.
Alternator froze up on the Jimmy, smoked the belt and broke the tensioner somehow!
Unhook trailer. Overloaded so really a bitch to unhook.
Parts run, fix the alternator, told wife if one more thing happened before we got halfway there we were done, not moving, quitting new job, staying in IL!
Luckily, no more problems, we made it!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I was 15 or 16 driving a beater pinto with a 2.3 , I pulled to a stoplight and the car died, flames were licking around the hood opening.Luckily the guy in the next lane had a fire extinguisher and got it put out. We pushed the car out of the road and that's when the fire dept showed up, they took an axe to my hood and forced it up, drowned the poor engine compartment,cut my battery cable and left.I had been a motor head for a few years already had some tools and a few plug wires and other old parts in the trunk.Ripped the speaker wires off the 6x9s wired just the ignition, I think I was 1 plug wire short, jumped the solenoid with a screw driver and drove it home. Damn teenagers are ambitious I pulled the whole Underhood harness unwrapped it replaced all damaged wires, rewrapped and drove it who knows how much longer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84