I broke my new truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
@Ellie Niner I'll give that a try; I was wondering if I can take the bulb out from behind under the dash so I don't have to take the whole setup apart for one bulb.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
@Ellie Niner I'll give that a try; I was wondering if I can take the bulb out from behind under the dash so I don't have to take the whole setup apart for one bulb.
I've never had much luck with access to bulbs from behind. I usually just pull the bezel and lens, leaving the cluster in place, then use a piece of fuel or vacuum line to latch onto bulbs.

Juan Cano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench Crate
@Ellie Niner It can be done!! With a lot of patience and hand cramps and scratches. I managed to get to the right blinker bulb through the hole where the stereo goes. Twisted out the bulb socket and swapped the LED with incandescent. Fixed it.

Not recommended, very hard to do especially because the circuit board sheet kept coming off.

I had a really hard time putting my bezel back on so I was trying to avoid. Thanks!! Now on to replacing a muffler.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Bextreme04 Thank you for that amazing diagram! And @Turbo4whl for clarifying.

Probably will start with replacing the bulb sockets and the shady enclosure. You can see in this hack job of a tailight that they felt duct tape was a key ingredient and it also looks like the enclosure had a date with a hacksaw????? I should open the other one too I guess.

You must be registered for see images attach
What the????
Complete tail light assemblies are too cheap. And used ones probably cheaper.
PS go slap the previous owner…

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
LOL. I think I need to work on my testing. Yesterday I take the truck out for a drive at night, turn the lights on and notice the right turn signal on the dashboard stays on all the time while driving!! WTF! But the actual blinkers work fine. So right dash light is on, but if I turn right, it blinks fine and the tailight blink fine and the side and front markers blink. When I complete the turn, the dash light stays lit. And the left signal works just fine. Just the right dash turn signs stays on when the lights are on.

I really thought I checked it thoroughly.

I should add that about 1.5 months ago when I took the dash off (I can't even remember why), I decided to swap out of the light bulbs on the dash board with........ LEDS!!!!! Or course!

So maybe when I turn the lights on, which turns the dash lights on, the right blinker dash light is too sensitive and it turns on? Worst is that damn LED is so freaking bright!!

Sigh. I don't think I'll fix this for a while. I understand the gauge bezel would have to be removed to swap bulbs and it took me hours to put it all back together. Don't really feel like doing it.
As noted by others, when I had this exact issue it was a bad ground in one of the parking light connectors. When headlights were on it would bleed into the turn signal circuit. When it is really bad, you will get a turn signal that will start out flashing normal speed, then it starts slowing down as the turn signal flashes, until it finally goes to no flash.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
LOL. I think I need to work on my testing. Yesterday I take the truck out for a drive at night, turn the lights on and notice the right turn signal on the dashboard stays on all the time while driving!! WTF! But the actual blinkers work fine. So right dash light is on, but if I turn right, it blinks fine and the tailight blink fine and the side and front markers blink. When I complete the turn, the dash light stays lit. And the left signal works just fine. Just the right dash turn signs stays on when the lights are on.

I really thought I checked it thoroughly.

I should add that about 1.5 months ago when I took the dash off (I can't even remember why), I decided to swap out of the light bulbs on the dash board with........ LEDS!!!!! Or course!

So maybe when I turn the lights on, which turns the dash lights on, the right blinker dash light is too sensitive and it turns on? Worst is that damn LED is so freaking bright!!

Sigh. I don't think I'll fix this for a while. I understand the gauge bezel would have to be removed to swap bulbs and it took me hours to put it all back together. Don't really feel like doing it.

LED's S-U-C-K!

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
@Ellie Niner I had a really hard time putting my bezel back on so I was trying to avoid.
I tend to forget, since I've had mine off SO many times that it's become easier (stop laughing). I have a tilt column, so tilting the wheel to its lowest setting and shifting the (automatic) trans to 1st helps a lot with being able to snake the bezel out. Glad to hear you got it done!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128