Neutral Safety Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wayfastwhitey575

Reaction score
First Name
Cyrl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 vortec
My question is should my 1980 C10 start in both neutral and park? Truck started fine in park and back up lights worked but it would not start in neutral. So I figured the switch was bad. Bought a new switch and replaced it. Clocked it so the reverse lights came on and locked it in position. Truck still will only start in park. I tried to rotate the switch to find the sweet spot and be able to start in park and neutral but no luck.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My question is should my 1980 C10 start in both neutral and park? Truck started fine in park and back up lights worked but it would not start in neutral. So I figured the switch was bad. Bought a new switch and replaced it. Clocked it so the reverse lights came on and locked it in position. Truck still will only start in park. I tried to rotate the switch to find the sweet spot and be able to start in park and neutral but no luck.
Neutral starting is normal and supposed to be able to happen

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is your column indicator possibly inaccurate if you shift by feel does it line up, and if you push your shift lever forward while moving down you can move one column detent(not trans ) at a time

wayfastwhitey575

Reaction score
First Name
Cyrl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 vortec
Column detent is good. I’ve been shifting by feel since the indicator was broke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod