I bought my grandfather’s truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farrartruck

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
V8, 350
Glad to be here. I bought my late grandfathers truck (he died about a year ago). It’s a 1987 R10. It’s in fairly decent shape, he was a mechanic and fully restored 20-30 antique cars over the course of his life, this one was his last and his daily driver til he died. It does need a little work though. The gas pedal is insanely stiff. My uncle (who is also a mechanic and owns an 86 Chevy) swears that my grandfather put an extra spring in the throttle body. Any advice on how to figure out if it is an extra spring, and if not, how to start digging into the throttle body to locate the pedal stiffness?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The spring should be drivers side on the front part of the intake, connected to the throttle linkage. I've found the throttle stiffness in these trucks is from the cable style pedal, when they get old.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Welcome Ryan.......
Glad you have your Grandfather's truck.
Show us a photo of it, please.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Glad to be here. I bought my late grandfathers truck (he died about a year ago). It’s a 1987 R10. It’s in fairly decent shape, he was a mechanic and fully restored 20-30 antique cars over the course of his life, this one was his last and his daily driver til he died. It does need a little work though. The gas pedal is insanely stiff. My uncle (who is also a mechanic and owns an 86 Chevy) swears that my grandfather put an extra spring in the throttle body. Any advice on how to figure out if it is an extra spring, and if not, how to start digging into the throttle body to locate the pedal stiffness?
Welcome from TX. I also have a 87 r10. It was in great condition when I bought it, very original. The throttle was stiffer than I remember my 86 k20 being. I just assumed it had to do with the tbi setup. I got use to it. It is definitely stiff if you compare to a modern drive by wire car.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard :boti:

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
:welcome:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome from TX. I also have a 87 r10. It was in great condition when I bought it, very original. The throttle was stiffer than I remember my 86 k20 being. I just assumed it had to do with the tbi setup. I got use to it. It is definitely stiff if you compare to a modern drive by wire car.
x2. Yeah it's stiff, but if it doesn't stick then there isn't really a problem.

Some of the cars in my driveway have super-stiff "put your foot through the firewall" clutch pedals and some are so light you just breathe on it and it bucks, just gotta re-adjust yourself when switching from one to the other. As long as it doesn't prevent you from driving the truck normally (without accidentally spinning the tires even when trying to take off gently from a stop for example), just get used to it being a firm pedal. If it really is sticking and causing problems, just lube the throttle cables. IME it's usually a sticky cable that causes a stiffer pedal feel. I really doubt the old man was adding extra springs to a TBI throttle body for the hell of it.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome from NE Georgia!

Pix pleeze!

Most vehicles I've seen have 2 Throttle Return springs. 1 inside the other. They shouldn't be causing the pedal to be a chore.
Cable from pedal to throttle could be an issue.

farrartruck

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
V8, 350
Thanks for all the help guys. For the ones who requested, here's a photo of it right after we got it out of a year long storage in a (very cleaned out) chicken coop converted into a garage. It has since been washed, I just don't have another picture. I think I'm going to start with those cables per recommendations, and if that don't work, start on the throttle body. Thanks again y'all.
You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks for all the help guys. For the ones who requested, here's a photo of it right after we got it out of a year long storage in a (very cleaned out) chicken coop converted into a garage. It has since been washed, I just don't have another picture. I think I'm going to start with those cables per recommendations, and if that don't work, start on the throttle body. Thanks again y'all.
You must be registered for see images attach
Nice lookin' truck! I bet after it's washed it looks beautiful

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size