I bet you probably haven't seen this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Well I guess my 10 bolt luck strikes again, I knew it wouldn't be long since the pinion nut was loose when I installed the axle from the donor. But I told myself I was getting every last mile out of it lol.

My first 10 bolt did this. Nothing crazy, broke the cross pin bolt somehow then dropped the cross pin and grenaded the carrier. This should be the picture you see when you look up a 10 bolt lolol
You must be registered for see images attach

Round 2 did this. Ive never seen this and don't think I'll ever see it again. I also wouldnt be the least bit surprised if none of you have seen it either.

After I found out the actual issue later, I was able to piece together what happened. Was making a left hand turn from a stop sign and got a little bit into it in the middle of the turn, nothing crazy at all, I heard a "thunk" not a "clunk" but that "tink" when a piece of metal cracks, which would have been that spider gear cracking. Then I drove straight, at a consistent speed for about a mile, no noise whatsoever. Then another stop sign, then about 100ft after that stop sign, clunk clunk clunk clunk, about the speed of the carrier turning. I thought for sure the cross pin was ejecting itself, and was about to lock the rear any second. Lucky I had a parking lot to turn right into. Pulled in and checked the rear end, warm but nothing out of the ordinary, drove it around the parking lot and not a single noise again. Super confused in the moment but knew it was the rear, and didn't lock up or stop turning the rear axle. So I cautiously limped it home a few miles, made it no problem, no other noises either(spider gear fell to the bottom of the case) was checking to make sure I didn't lose an axle shaft the whole way lol.

Somehow a single spider gear shattered into pieces without the cross pin coming out or anything else coming loose or getting destroyed. Other than the obvious beating from the chunks flying around.

The crosspin and spider gear were not loving each other. Also you can see on the one spider what looks to be some heat traces, and on all of the spider gears what looks to be delaminating or rust pits that got polished up. But it seems more like it was chunking. As there's not rust going on anywhere else.

Long story short. Goodbye 10 bolts. Forever. I've got a pair of axles lined up until I can build my 3/4 tons. Guy has a Dana 44 and a 12 bolt rear with 3.73's which I just need the rear but I won't pass up a 44. He wants $400 for the pair, in what seems to be good working order so I have to get the front too of course lol. Hopefully they're decent and I know that 12 bolt will last.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Gonna be limping it back to the farm about 30 miles. All backroads though, if I don't have to get the trailer and haul it I wont. Like I said every last mile lol.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hah, wow that's crazy!

Though as long as you're easy on it I'm sure you'll make it those last 30 miles

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
If you are replacing it anyway, you might want to save a few bucks and just replace the spider gear. The side gears, while pitted, look like they can be limped along for a little while while you get the 3/4 ton axles together. Or to play it safe you can replace side gears too with good used…..

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Hah, wow that's crazy!

Though as long as you're easy on it I'm sure you'll make it those last 30 miles
I'm confident I'll make it no problem. Whether it'll be happy or not is a different story lol

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Too bad you're not closer. I'd give you my 3/4 set out of my K20.
Appreciate the offer. Arizona is a bit far, I just made that trip a few months ago, it's a long one.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
If you are replacing it anyway, you might want to save a few bucks and just replace the spider gear. The side gears, while pitted, look like they can be limped along for a little while while you get the 3/4 ton axles together. Or to play it safe you can replace side gears too with good used…..
I would do that, but the problem around here is the 10 bolts either look like this or they're in a driving vehicle. Also concerned about the carrier being cracked/distorted. My nearest pull apart is 100 miles away, I don't want to waste my time or money on this or another 10 bolt. So this is how it ends it's life lol

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@PrairieDrifter , you wouldn’t happen to know where I could find a decent box for my wife’s 79 Short box fleet side, would you? I am in the Black Hills, so just south of you. I’m by the Ellsworth Air Force Base. I need a cab for my 76 long bed also. The previous owner wrecked it some how. Looks like a tree fell on the drivers side and he used bondo to fix it. It’s bad. Thanks in advance, sir.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
@PrairieDrifter , you wouldn’t happen to know where I could find a decent box for my wife’s 79 Short box fleet side, would you? I am in the Black Hills, so just south of you. I’m by the Ellsworth Air Force Base. I need a cab for my 76 long bed also. The previous owner wrecked it some how. Looks like a tree fell on the drivers side and he used bondo to fix it. It’s bad. Thanks in advance, sir.
The short box is a tough one. I see some online every now and then but they're priced what they're worth if they're any good. Shortboxes aren't my thing so I don't have any lol.

Ive got a 76 gmc cab we could maybe work somethin out if you need chunks of sheet metal. One a-pillar is bad and the other one I'm using. I was trying to keep the roof skin, but it depends what you need. Not sure if you wanted a whole cab, or just pieces. But the cab I have is mostly junk, and has no title. So I was going to cut it up for patch panels.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The short box is a tough one. I see some online every now and then but they're priced what they're worth if they're any good. Shortboxes aren't my thing so I don't have any lol.

Ive got a 76 gmc cab we could maybe work somethin out if you need chunks of sheet metal. One a-pillar is bad and the other one I'm using. I was trying to keep the roof skin, but it depends what you need. Not sure if you wanted a whole cab, or just pieces. But the cab I have is mostly junk, and has no title. So I was going to cut it up for patch panels.
You go ahead a cut it up. I was just hoping to do a cab swap. I think my body work days might be over. I had my own body/paint shop for a while when I was younger but haven’t done much in years. Getting old sucks. Thank you for getting back to me on that. If you could keep your eyes open that would be greatly appreciated. I really only need the passenger side of the box. Maybe AMD will have one.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You go ahead a cut it up. I was just hoping to do a cab swap. I think my body work days might be over. I had my own body/paint shop for a while when I was younger but haven’t done much in years. Getting old sucks. Thank you for getting back to me on that. If you could keep your eyes open that would be greatly appreciated. I really only need the passenger side of the box. Maybe AMD will have one.
I'll keep a look out for ya, I remember seeing one last month, might still be available. I might be picking up a 1 ton with a cab, mostly for the frame, in the near future as well, don't know the shape of it though.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Gonna be limping it back to the farm about 30 miles. All backroads though, if I don't have to get the trailer and haul it I wont. Like I said every last mile lol.
My production, it'll make it no problem, no drama. I've seen spider gears chewed up, but I don't think I've ever seen just one shattered like that. Looking at your pictures again I almost wonder if the spider seized on the pin, even if not there's lots of wear there. Interesting to look at.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
My production, it'll make it no problem, no drama. I've seen spider gears chewed up, but I don't think I've ever seen just one shattered like that. Looking at your pictures again I almost wonder if the spider seized on the pin, even if not there's lots of wear there. Interesting to look at.
Figured it be some good viewing lol. I've got faith it'll make it. I think if it fully seized I would have heard some kind of screeching. I did feel something like wet brakes chattering almost earlier that day, but since I had just messed with the brakes I thought that was that sensation.

The fact it made no other noises other than that "tink" and the the clunk clunks, has me really confused.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Come on over and get this monster truck. This is the bad side. 1986 K3500 with a manual transmission. 454 that sounds mighty nice when we had it fired up on ether. Needs one fuel tank for sure, it and the filler is gone. Smog AIR pumps has been removed. Interior is decent. Vey livable. This is the bad side. Needs a back window and dent fixed.
The guy that owns it will take $3000.00 or reasonable to that best offer. Manual transmission too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey