I bet you probably haven't seen this.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Come on over and get this monster truck. This is the bad side. 1986 K3500 with a manual transmission. 454 that sounds mighty nice when we had it fired up on ether. Needs one fuel tank for sure, it and the filler is gone. Smog AIR pumps has been removed. Interior is decent. Vey livable. This is the bad side. Needs a back window and dent fixed.
The guy that owns it will take $3000.00 or reasonable to that best offer. Manual transmission too.
You must be registered for see images attach
Can you get more pictures?.@MrMarty51

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Needs the finishing touches added to it for the AIR pump system to be removed, alternator put back on and whatever else it need to eliminate the rest of the EPA crap.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The guy that brought this over to me, His step dad bought it brand new. A ranch truck and was mainly his stock trailer hauler. He did keep excellent PM service on all his vehicles.
It appears that the truck at some time took a hit to the front end but there is no evidence of that by looking at the frame rails.
Tires are real decent and although are aged appears that they would go quite some distance yet.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Come on over and get this monster truck. This is the bad side. 1986 K3500 with a manual transmission. 454 that sounds mighty nice when we had it fired up on ether. Needs one fuel tank for sure, it and the filler is gone. Smog AIR pumps has been removed. Interior is decent. Vey livable. This is the bad side. Needs a back window and dent fixed.
The guy that owns it will take $3000.00 or reasonable to that best offer. Manual transmission too.
If only I had the money. Been wanting a crew for a long time. It's 4wd too.. dang

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@PrairieDrifter I have seen this before and I can explain how it can happen. The cause is excessive one wheel spin.

First you need to understand how fast that spider gear is moving. With the open rear in a slippery surface like mud or snow, say your stuck. You give the engine throttle but the truck does not move. The speedo shows 30 MPH, well the wheel that is spinning is now spinning at 60 MPH! That poor spider gear is spinning 2 times faster than the side gear that is spinning.

Oil pumps that run dry or a hydraulic pump that runs dry will cause cavitation. Cavitation is caused by the vacuum that created as the oil covered gears move away from each other, and there is no oil to fill in. This vacuum will start to pull molecules of metal off the gear surface. Over time, more metal is removed.

Since the differential carrier is moving in and out of oil, cavitation can happen because the gears are moving oil. And those spider gears are moving very fast. This picture shows the cavitation on the side gear very well:

The spider gear being the smallest part of the gearset most likely failed from a crack that formed in the cavitation.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Hard to tell from the picture but the rear bumper looks like it could double as an Olympic diving platform?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well I guess my 10 bolt luck strikes again, I knew it wouldn't be long since the pinion nut was loose when I installed the axle from the donor. But I told myself I was getting every last mile out of it lol.

My first 10 bolt did this. Nothing crazy, broke the cross pin bolt somehow then dropped the cross pin and grenaded the carrier. This should be the picture you see when you look up a 10 bolt lolol

Round 2 did this. Ive never seen this and don't think I'll ever see it again. I also wouldnt be the least bit surprised if none of you have seen it either.

After I found out the actual issue later, I was able to piece together what happened. Was making a left hand turn from a stop sign and got a little bit into it in the middle of the turn, nothing crazy at all, I heard a "thunk" not a "clunk" but that "tink" when a piece of metal cracks, which would have been that spider gear cracking. Then I drove straight, at a consistent speed for about a mile, no noise whatsoever. Then another stop sign, then about 100ft after that stop sign, clunk clunk clunk clunk, about the speed of the carrier turning. I thought for sure the cross pin was ejecting itself, and was about to lock the rear any second. Lucky I had a parking lot to turn right into. Pulled in and checked the rear end, warm but nothing out of the ordinary, drove it around the parking lot and not a single noise again. Super confused in the moment but knew it was the rear, and didn't lock up or stop turning the rear axle. So I cautiously limped it home a few miles, made it no problem, no other noises either(spider gear fell to the bottom of the case) was checking to make sure I didn't lose an axle shaft the whole way lol.

Somehow a single spider gear shattered into pieces without the cross pin coming out or anything else coming loose or getting destroyed. Other than the obvious beating from the chunks flying around.

The crosspin and spider gear were not loving each other. Also you can see on the one spider what looks to be some heat traces, and on all of the spider gears what looks to be delaminating or rust pits that got polished up. But it seems more like it was chunking. As there's not rust going on anywhere else.

Long story short. Goodbye 10 bolts. Forever. I've got a pair of axles lined up until I can build my 3/4 tons. Guy has a Dana 44 and a 12 bolt rear with 3.73's which I just need the rear but I won't pass up a 44. He wants $400 for the pair, in what seems to be good working order so I have to get the front too of course lol. Hopefully they're decent and I know that 12 bolt will last.
I blew my small spiders like that a few years ago....stomped on the gas at a stop light and BANG! no move.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I blew my small spiders like that a few years ago....stomped on the gas at a stop light and BANG! no move.
I barely even got on it lol. It for sure broke at that exact moment, but luckily I had one lil guy hanging on to keep me moving. The last time it applied it's own parking brake then I dislodged the parking brake and she spun freely but no go.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I barely even got on it lol. It for sure broke at that exact moment, but luckily I had one lil guy hanging on to keep me moving. The last time it applied it's own parking brake then I dislodged the parking brake and she spun freely but no go.
Lol ive NEVER used the E brake (parking brake) in any vehicle ive owned lol

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
@PrairieDrifter I have seen this before and I can explain how it can happen. The cause is excessive one wheel spin.

First you need to understand how fast that spider gear is moving. With the open rear in a slippery surface like mud or snow, say your stuck. You give the engine throttle but the truck does not move. The speedo shows 30 MPH, well the wheel that is spinning is now spinning at 60 MPH! That poor spider gear is spinning 2 times faster than the side gear that is spinning.

Oil pumps that run dry or a hydraulic pump that runs dry will cause cavitation. Cavitation is caused by the vacuum that created as the oil covered gears move away from each other, and there is no oil to fill in. This vacuum will start to pull molecules of metal off the gear surface. Over time, more metal is removed.

Since the differential carrier is moving in and out of oil, cavitation can happen because the gears are moving oil. And those spider gears are moving very fast. This picture shows the cavitation on the side gear very well:

The spider gear being the smallest part of the gearset most likely failed from a crack that formed in the cavitation.
I never did open the diff up because it had clean fluid and didn't want to even know what was going on inside really lol. I definitely wasn't one wheel peelin, so I guess it had a hard life before me..

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I never did open the diff up because it had clean fluid and didn't want to even know what was going on inside really lol. I definitely wasn't one wheel peelin, so I guess it had a hard life before me..

I already figured that, you said, you just put it in. Local used axle? North Dakota, previous operator probably did a lot of one wheel snow peeling.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I already figured that, you said, you just put it in. Local used axle? North Dakota, previous operator probably did a lot of one wheel snow peeling.
Yep, and was a younger kid. Like I said before the pinion nut was also loose, like pinion flopping around loose. I have no idea how long he had it like that, but I had written it off then and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08