I’m interested in swapping out the TH350 for a 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
weird. i distinctly remember my uncles 95 vandura using the modern obd port, and having P- codes whii READ EHO
GM started putting ODB2 ports into vehicles in 1995 but didnt switch over to the OBD2 software and programming standard until '96.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
I could of swore the 700r4 has a better first gear than a th350? Maybe iim thinking of a 200r4 being nicer than a th350?
Transmissions most definitely do slip, and original transmissions before lockup conerters never stopped slipping either. The clutches were different materials and the heat load of the transmission was different.
Also, GM quite literally invented the PWM TCC lockup which under 99.99% of driving conditions will slip 5-150rpm AS DESIGN, they also invented the ECCC.
You must be registered for see images attach

im more inclined to think a feeling of slipping on a truck with a 700r4 in 4th or while still locked is experiencing chuggle or a misfire under load
64 frames/sec is the standard rate of motion for a Panavision 35mm Motion Picture Camera. ("64 Flips")
We run the camera faster or slower for effect. Faster costs $$$$. ("Budget Slippage").

35mm Projector film, runs through intermittently at 24 frames per second (fps), 18 inches per second or 90 feet per minute (fpm), which gives 22 minutes-running time on a 2000ft spool (mph).

A flicker shutter was employed to cut light off when the film was in motion. (Similar to the slipping clutch of the converter...)
Some projectors had front, some rear shutters.
If the shutter went out of sync (out of phase) there would be streaking that was very noticeable on light scenes and titles.
(Just like a bad converter).

The sound is nineteen and a half frames ahead of the picture. It can’t be printed where the picture is shown due to the intermittent movement.
https://www.chestercinemas.co.uk/projection-the-works/

SMPTE Society of Motion Picture Technicians and Engineers:

https://www.smpte.org/

AuroraGirl you are so Smaaaaaaaarrrrrrrttttt!

Worked at the Thomas Edison Motion Picture Laboratory in Brooklyn, NYC, where the first motion picture in the world was shot.
Now where were we?

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
GM started putting ODB2 ports into vehicles in 1995 but didnt switch over to the OBD2 software and programming standard until '96.
yes. bvut the PCMs in some of those cars were what would go on to be the obd2 versions. they started the changeover in 1994 as well.

The most common/larger vehicle lines all seemed to hit compliance with obd2 regulations on software in 1995 but didnt do the hardware compliance till 1996(1999) because most PCMs still took PROM chips in 1995

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Prefer OBD Stoopid.
Having the law run my ecu for vehicle speed data, is Wong.
OBD2 hates my civil rights.
Until proven... not guilty.

Now they track your phone.

(Unless you are smarter then the average bear... )

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
yes. bvut the PCMs in some of those cars were what would go on to be the obd2 versions. they started the changeover in 1994 as well.

The most common/larger vehicle lines all seemed to hit compliance with obd2 regulations on software in 1995 but didnt do the hardware compliance till 1996(1999) because most PCMs still took PROM chips in 1995
Yea, could be (think the 94
Vettes and F-Bodies had OBD2-compliant PCMs installed so hardware integration started earler than 96) but as far as I know, there were no vehicles anywhere manufactured with full OBD2 software, programming and hardware until 1996. But

I would be interested to learn of any GM vehicles that were 100% OBD2 in 1995 and back.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yea, could be (think the 94
Vettes and F-Bodies had OBD2-compliant PCMs installed so hardware integration started earler than 96) but as far as I know, there were no vehicles anywhere manufactured with full OBD2 software, programming and hardware until 1996. But

I would be interested to learn of any GM vehicles that were 100% OBD2 in 1995 and back.
Gm took the least amount of time to geckne fully compliant. The biggest issue for compliance was a flushable memory for pcm’.s, only car I know which was able to do that early was Buick skylark in 1993

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As a freeway flyer, it's great and believe me, there's no slipping of 4th/OD and I have NO IDEA where anyone got that idea.

Automatic transmissions do NOT slip and any misperception of that is caused by the torque converter absorbing the shock of the shifts and dropping into and out of TCC.
Assuming it has a "lock-up" convertor which many of the earlier ones did not or did not function properly.
Agree that Automatics do not slip-until they do, which means the bands are shot. Torque Convertor on the other hand does slip, until it locks up, assuming it's working correctly.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Assuming it has a "lock-up" convertor which many of the earlier ones did not or did not function properly.
Agree that Automatics do not slip-until they do, which means the bands are shot. Torque Convertor on the other hand does slip, until it locks up, assuming it's working correctly.
How many bands do you believe a 4700 has?

Beside that --- was there ever a 700 without a LU converter?

Just curious.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
How many bands do you believe a 4700 has?

Beside that --- was there ever a 700 without a LU converter?

Just curious.
What is a "4700"?

No 700R4 came from the factory without a converter clutch however you can convert to a non-locking converter using transgo's Non-lock up conversion kit.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
What is a "4700"?

No 700R4 came from the factory without a converter clutch however you can convert to a non-locking converter using transgo's Non-lock up conversion kit.
Typo --- it's supposed to be a 700

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod