Husky Air Compressor is popping circuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I have a Husky Air Compressor model T63BXCCT. It is an oil lubed 110 v belt driven compressor, something like 33 gallons. Last fall the compressor started popping the circuit it was on when it started to run. Either first time it ran for the day or when it kicked back on during use. Now it instantly pops the circuit or it will make a little noise and try to turn but then pop the fuse. I took the cover off and can easily move the belt by hand.

It has two what look like capacitors on top of the engine. One is black and the other grey. They have 4 plugs but only two are used. I checked all the connections and there is no corrossion. I applied dielectric grease and tried swapping the plugs on these two capacitors and keeping them at a diagonal like they were, just opposite. Same result, just pops the fuse. I will try to post some pics in a little bit. Any ideas?

ps the motor says LR63596

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
have the same compressor,no problem with mine.but when i look on the home depot site it a crap shoot if you get a good one or not.said on the reviews to check the belt area and see if the belt is rubbing,sometimes cracks the crankshaft housing and causes drag,which then blows the breaker due to resistance on the motor.also on some they cheap out on some of the electric components(Chinese). so that might be the problem. if you haven't had it too long,suppose to good about fixing them or exchanging them .

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check the parts list/diagram.If it shows an "Unloader Valve" You might want to check that,see if it is stuck open to the tank side.
If it is stuck open to the tank side,then the cylinders will still be charged with compressed air,creates a lot of resistance for the motor to push against,way more than the breaker can withstand.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Also check the amperage rating of the compressor's motor. Most home breakers are 15 amp and if the motor draws more than that you'll need to step up to a 20 amp breaker.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is the motor oilless? Not the compressor itself, but the electric motor? If it has plugs on each or either end of it, it may just need a couple drops of oil, usually on each end of the motor housing where the shaft bearings would be. It might just need oil and is dragging the shaft making the amperage draw to high and tripping the cirucit.

Is the circiut internal to the motor? Maybe you can replace the circuit breaker. Maybe it's lightweight or poor quality. I'd try to replace it with like amperage rating or no more than 10amp higher.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
thanks for the replies. I've checked it on several different circuits including a new 20amp and exact same results. At first I thought it had something to do with the temperature so i brought it inside where it was 70 degrees and nothing is different.

I've been searching the web and this is what I've come up with so far:

Unloader valve, if i relieve pressure in the tank and it runs then the unloader valve is bad. Pretty easy and I will try tommorrow.

Could also be the starter capacitor. I'm assuming it is one of the ones on top of the motor. Very easy to get to and swap out. I found a place called Graingers and they have a store about a half hour away. I may take a drive tommorrow and just swap out the parts.

Attachments

• PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0003.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 243
  • PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 170
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 238

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
One more thing. I tried taking off the plastic cover for the belt and turning the belt manually. It turned easily and after that I fired up the compressor and turned it a little by hand to give it a little help. It ran really slowly barely turning the belt for 10 seconds and then tripped the breaker.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah Graingers is a great place. They got a ton of ****. Grab one of their catalogs if you can. :)

I get my aluminum and plastic stock from them and hoses and stuff.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One more thing. I tried taking off the plastic cover for the belt and turning the belt manually. It turned easily and after that I fired up the compressor and turned it a little by hand to give it a little help. It ran really slowly barely turning the belt for 10 seconds and then tripped the breaker.

That should tell you it's not the hard start capicitor. Can you tell if it's the motor or the Compressor that's getting stick and hard to turn? I'll assume it's the motor since it trips as soon as it gets stiff. It might need a new motor if it's an oilless motor. But it sounds like the motor might need oiled.

Is it a GE or AO Smith motor? Can you get any #'s off of it?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Does the motor run if you take the belt off?

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Does the motor run if you take the belt off?

Excellent question! I took the belt off and it instantly started spinning but popped the circuit within 3 seconds. Am I safe to assume that it is not the "unloader valve"? The compressor pump is not hooked up because the belt is off so I'm assuming I'm dealing with a problem with the electrical motor. Right?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, so the drag is in the motor or whatever else is causing it. Do you have a model # on that motor? I'm trying to figure out if it can be oiled or not. It might even need brushes if it's a serviceable motor.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Its an Emerson motor says compressor motor LR63596 and model T63BXcct and 1233 after that. also says MFG NO H00C
Rpm 3450 PH1
Cust PN MC018102AV

now I have to replace the rear main seal for the 84 engine thats in my 87
and the front cover gasket
and the intake manifold
and install a SMI rebuilt Quadrajet
and a bunch of other small stuff without the use of my compressor :Stupid Me:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its an Emerson motor says compressor motor LR63596 and model T63BXcct and 1233 after that. also says MFG NO H00C
Rpm 3450 PH1
Cust PN MC018102AV

now I have to replace the rear main seal for the 84 engine thats in my 87
and the front cover gasket
and the intake manifold
and install a SMI rebuilt Quadrajet
and a bunch of other small stuff without the use of my compressor :Stupid Me:

I wouldn't swear to it, but it's probably a 3hp motor. It does appear that's a sealed bearing motor from what I can find which isn't much. Whatever you do, don't trash the compressor. I'd try to find another better quality motor for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80