How To Remove A 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Hey guys. Im going to tear into the ol 87 Square today and remove the 6.2. Whats the best way to do this? Will it come out the top or do I need to remove the radiator and header panel?

Also, how much do these engiens weigh? My cherry picker is rated at 1000 lbs, but I DID pull a Stroker with it. I hardly doubt they weigh more than a 7.3 Stroker but Iv heard crazier stories.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I would remove the radiator, just to be on the safe side cause its soft. Should be no need to remove the core support though there's lots of room in the engine bay. I can't see the engine weighing in at over a grand but make sure you check the hoist the weight it can lift goes down the farther out its extended. If your really worried the hoist won't pick it up, you can always disassemble it in place. Pull the heads and crankshaft and I bet it weighs less then a small block.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Iv began unplugging everything off the motor so Im making headway. After looking at the engine again and comparing it to the Powerstroke, I hardly doubt its anywhere near the same weight.

This cherry picker is an oldie. The arm doesn't slide in and out. Its basically a bottle jack on a bunch of metal lol.

I did go shead and take the radiator out since it was held on by 4 bolts on top of the radiator mount. This also gave me an opportunity to take out my (radiator for the A/C) since the rest of the A/C is non-existent. I think I will go ahead and take off the hood for added clearance also since I left the radiator mount on.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Make sure you mark the hood and hinges before you take it off so its easy to line it back up. I've seen people drill an 1/8 inch hole and use a nail to line it back up but I've always just used a sharpie to trace the hinge.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Did it! I saw that on The Powerblock on TV and I thought "Hey, that's an excellent idea!"

The nail idea would prolly be a little complicated with something as heavy as a hood but Im sure itd work lol

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Whoop! There it is!

You must be registered for see images attach

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Hmm.... I think I bent a few fan blades lol

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Had a 84 6.2 diesel truck that was a project.

Me and my dad removed the 6.2 motor (dropped jug) out of it to swap with a Carburated 350.

Removing the radiator will make it easier to pull the motor out. This truck was a granny gear 4 speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1