HOW TO CONVERT 2wd to 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rmart399

Reaction score
First Name
Roland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Has any one converted a 1987(eight gen)2wd to a 4wd

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Best way is to remove engine/cab. Then roll 4x4 chassis under the cab and put everything back together. Otherwise would need to swap all the 4x4 parts from 4x4 chassis

Rmart399

Reaction score
First Name
Roland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
thanks for the info

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
My suburban was converted from a 2wd automatic to a 4wd manual by the previous owner. It doesn't look like anything ridiculously-complicated, but it does look like a good amount of work. @yevgenievich is probably right though...it may be easier (or quicker) to do a frame/cab swap. And likely cheaper to go that route too.

That being said, if you have some fabrication skills, some time, and a reliable daliy driver, it is definitely doable. You can find suspension parts from Offroaddesign.com, diy4x.com, and/or your local junkyard. You will need to put some consideration into what transfer case will easily mate up to your existing transmission (adapters can get co$$$$tly), and finding either an axle that is already set up for crossover steering, or a steering box to run push-pull steering. Once you have those 2 components figured out, there will be engine crossmember modifications, floorboard modifications, driveshaft modifications, potentially exhaust modifications, and other likely unforeseeable modifications and expenses that come up. It can be done, but like others have said, it may not be worth it.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
its a lot of work but either way you do it its a lot of work.

frame swap or convert it lots of work

I am not afraid to cut the cross members and mount from a 4x4 and put them on a 2x4 and drill some holes or vise versa 4x4 to 2x4

you can't find 4x4 short bed or 2x4 blazer frames that easy

long bed or suburban frame swap would be faster and not hard to find a 4x4 sub or long bed.

you can find a 4x4 suburban or long bed easy and use it as a donor on a 4x4 short bed conversion.

if I cant find what I want I make what I can find what I want no matter how much work it is. work on trucks and cars is all I do when I am not at work. its fun to make whatever I want out of nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus