How much MPG does your 454 get, and TBI conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Warm weather driving my old 3/4 ton Burb got 10/13. But that is much heavier. Haven't driven my stepside much since the 454 swap, mpg is still a rough guesstimate at 15 mpg or so. I don't think TBI ever improves mpg much over a properly tuned carb, just better starts in colder weather.

Last edited:

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Warm weather driving my old 3/4 ton Burb got 10/13. But that is much heavier. Haven't driven my stepside much since the 454 swap, mpg is still a rough guesstimate at 15 mpg or so. I don't think TBI ever improves mpg much over a properly tuned carb, just better starts in colder weather.

Huh... my 1995 Suburban half ton 4x4 with the 5.7L TBI gets 13MPG combined. I would hope that the big block truck would be at least the same. Sounds like it would - thank you :) Still curious about the TBI conversion - I have a history of not liking carburetors. Besides, I'm hoping that for the same price as rebuilding a carb or less I could do the TBI conversion.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-9812-carburetor-to-tbi-conversion/

They make it sound expensive but if I used junkyard parts I could do it for pretty cheap.

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
A few members here have gotten rid of their tbi. If you don't like carbs wait till you find yourself chasing the infamous tbi vacuum leak or stumble off idle...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
fuel is fuel. x pounds at y mph requires the same input whether it be carb,s tbi, mfi, di lithium crystals. The advantage to a controlled system, like TBI or better will be cold weather driveability, adaptability to fuel, atmosphere, temp etc.

There is a secondary effect that the absolute cleaner an exhaust can get, the less wasted fuel there is. todays efi systems benefit the jeckyl vs hyde nature of a motor - the epa does not regulate pollutants at wide open throttle. it lets you run a smaller motor at as lean a burn as possible at as low an rpm as possible, yet when the pedal is pushed, pump all sorts of crap down the throat.

If your usage can exist on the limited amount of air a TBI can pass vs the 4bbl, then go for it, you will experience more good than bad. I have seen many people around my shop and others wanting to abandon an efi or even electronic carb system (well who can blame them there) for a carb system because they get scared or dont understand it. On the other hand, for decades I and others have been fitting ford EECIV and lowly GM TBI to about anything. I often (half heartedly) joke that GM TBI is so simple you can adapt it to your lawn tractor. Of course, this works best when you graft the entire motor....carb motors - those from say 72-89 are so detuned MECHANICALLY as well as induction wise, that they can never make power or drive right no mater what you do. If you want to modify the programming of the OBD1 systems - its harder to write phone aps that it is to do that, in fact, there are aps to reflash since the advent of the Palm OS.

The biggest impediment to gas mileage on old squares, is the lack of overdrive.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
So far on my 87 I get about 9 city and 11-12 hwy

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
fuel is fuel. x pounds at y mph requires the same input whether it be carb,s tbi, mfi, di lithium crystals. The advantage to a controlled system, like TBI or better will be cold weather driveability, adaptability to fuel, atmosphere, temp etc.

There is a secondary effect that the absolute cleaner an exhaust can get, the less wasted fuel there is. todays efi systems benefit the jeckyl vs hyde nature of a motor - the epa does not regulate pollutants at wide open throttle. it lets you run a smaller motor at as lean a burn as possible at as low an rpm as possible, yet when the pedal is pushed, pump all sorts of crap down the throat.

If your usage can exist on the limited amount of air a TBI can pass vs the 4bbl, then go for it, you will experience more good than bad. I have seen many people around my shop and others wanting to abandon an efi or even electronic carb system (well who can blame them there) for a carb system because they get scared or dont understand it. On the other hand, for decades I and others have been fitting ford EECIV and lowly GM TBI to about anything. I often (half heartedly) joke that GM TBI is so simple you can adapt it to your lawn tractor. Of course, this works best when you graft the entire motor....carb motors - those from say 72-89 are so detuned MECHANICALLY as well as induction wise, that they can never make power or drive right no mater what you do. If you want to modify the programming of the OBD1 systems - its harder to write phone aps that it is to do that, in fact, there are aps to reflash since the advent of the Palm OS.

The biggest impediment to gas mileage on old squares, is the lack of overdrive.

Thank you for your input - this is the kind of advice I was looking for. If I get a carbed truck I would start with that and wait until I have everything together for the swap.

Might take a while since I don't have much budget. In fact I have to pay a family member back some money and make some savings for a square body but I'm always looking on Craigslist, eBay, the side of the road, etc. to find what I am looking for, just in case I find a sweet deal, that's why I wanted to know all this stuff up front.

I am a web designer and developer and have done some programming so if it needs to be tuned I am sure I can figure it out.

As far as the overdrive, I know what you mean - it's either a TH400 that's rock solid but bad mileage at highway speeds or a 700R4 and better MPG but replace the tranny every 10 mins.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Huh... my 1995 Suburban half ton 4x4 with the 5.7L TBI gets 13MPG combined. I would hope that the big block truck would be at least the same. Sounds like it would - thank you :) Still curious about the TBI conversion - I have a history of not liking carburetors. Besides, I'm hoping that for the same price as rebuilding a carb or less I could do the TBI conversion.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-9812-carburetor-to-tbi-conversion/

They make it sound expensive but if I used junkyard parts I could do it for pretty cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I love TBI. I just wouldn't swap to it simply for better mpg, because it may or may not happen. Everything I've ever had with TBI has been dead nuts reliable too, just a few minor problems here or there that were easy to track down.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Don't get me wrong, I love TBI. I just wouldn't swap to it simply for better mpg, because it may or may not happen. Everything I've ever had with TBI has been dead nuts reliable too, just a few minor problems here or there that were easy to track down.

Beyond there initially being so many things that can be wrong and cause it to not run right or not start at all I don't imagine the TBI will be less reliable than a carburetor.

On the other hand, what other engines bolt right up to whatever tranny is behind the 454?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I prefer tbi, especially at different altitudes and roadcoursing. Cold weather starts, waiting for the motor to warm up, vapor lock, yeah....thats fun. I love my tbi 5.7 paired up with the 700r4. If your into a big block, the 700r4 isnt for you. I havent calculated my highway mpg, by when my trans was built last month, I can cruise at 70 and it kicks down to 1500 rpm in o.d.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I don't have any precise MPG calculations but my truck gets about 10mpg highway. 3/4 ton, 454, carbed, TH400, 3.73 axle.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just figured out what my last fill-up came to on the mileage and I squeaked out about 11mpg in the Ol' Girl with mixed driving. She's carb'ed with a nearly tuned Quad and has 31" tires and 3.08 gears. So, I think I could probably squeeze a few more out of her if I tried changing a few other things and tried to not floor it all the time, but I haven't gotten there yet.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I probably mentioned it somewhere before, but I used to have 97 1 ton with 454 vortec mpfi motor and nv4500. It would get 16-17 mpg on the highway. multi port fuel injection would benefit over the tbi and it can be ran with mega squirt if desired.

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
1973 3/4 ton 2wd 454 w/ TH400 and 3.73 gears, RV cam and long tube headers. Most of my driving is at high altitude (5000+ feet. You should see the runway I need) and a lot of highway. My brick got 8+ mpg with a well tuned Q-jet. I put a 2 inch GM TBI on and right away went to 10 mpg. I now have an MSD Atomic TBI with timing control and now get 11+ mpg.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
1973 3/4 ton 2wd 454 w/ TH400 and 3.73 gears, RV cam and long tube headers. Most of my driving is at high altitude (5000+ feet. You should see the runway I need) and a lot of highway. My brick got 8+ mpg with a well tuned Q-jet. I put a 2 inch GM TBI on and right away went to 10 mpg. I now have an MSD Atomic TBI with timing control and now get 11+ mpg.

+2MPG is significant. I do wonder, though, if the upgrade to the MSD was worth it just to get 1MPG more ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1