How many leafs do I have to add

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Some company still makes a bolt-on style set, but I don't remember who. I think an actual traction bar mounted to the passenger side axle tube will work much better. There's a few kits out there, but no matter what, welding and cutting is needed to do the install. If you have any fabrication skills, you can just make everything yourself.

I do have fabrication experience and luckily if I can't do it my dad can. I have been looking around on interweb for different ones and so far I tend to like the less expensive ones, not just for the price but because of the simpleness of them.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would just do like shock mounts sticking straight up with bushings or hyme joints and a single bar going forward to the same mounts sticking straight down from the cab cross member. Would keep the bar somewhat level, allow for travel and the longer the axle mount going straight up is the better leverage will be applied towards axle anti wrap.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I would just do like shock mounts sticking straight up with bushings or hyme joints and a single bar going forward to the same mounts sticking straight down from the cab cross member. Would keep the bar somewhat level, allow for travel and the longer the axle mount going straight up is the better leverage will be applied towards axle anti wrap.

That's a great idea and what I'm looking for. Someone on Square body asked if I'm experiencing axle wrap right now and I am not so far. I was thinking about keeping from possibly having a problem at some point when I am finally able to go off road. I guess I can't really say I'm not having a problem with it because I haven't really been able to drive it yet accept to move it around my yard and I did spin the wheels or I should say wheel, while moving it and nothing happened.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Articulation

What I was told was to get rid of the blocks if I wanted better articulation over rocks and such. I'm not sure how much rock crawling I'll be doing but I would like to be able too if I can. I'm still undecided whether or not to keep the blocks?

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I can't imagine that removing the lift blocks would affect articulation. Spring rate and length will, but whether the spring pack is bolted to the axle or 4 inches above it shouldn't make a difference. What does @crazy4offroad or the other wheelers around here have to say about it?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Eliminating blocks will help eliminate axle wrap and alleviate stress on the springs. When your spring is rocking on that small block, in combination with the mechanical advantage of the height of a block eventually the spring will crack. Axle wrap is not as noticeable with an auto trans compared to a standard. Shorter blocks and rounded blocks like zero rate add-a-leafs are better choices, as well as shackle flip kits. I guess there's more to it than 'can removing blocks help articulation'. Longer springs like Blazer springs help, as well as fewer springs in a spring pack make the most difference.

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
Thanks for the info crazy4offroad, I'm starting to understand how it works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117