How far to go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay, I've done frame off restores, correct down to the air conditioning stickers on the compresser and and a tar top battery.Flying leather in from Connelly leathers in England to have the correct grain and color leather.That attention to detail takes huge time, when your done nobody realizes just how much work went into it but you.And to top it all off now you can only drive it on days that there's no traffic, not too much sun, no rain, and you can't leave it alone to go inside somewhere.Make it presentable and enjoy it. Who cares if it's not perfect.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
My 89 burb my dad didn't buy BRAND new, but he bought it a couple years after. Had very very low mileage on it, as many have heard this story, the head gasket gave out on it many years after driving it, he dropped a new crate high output 350 in it, drive it for a big linger after that, then parked it.

5 or 6 years later, finally gives it to me.

It needed a full overhaul, I did brakes top to bottom mostly, new tires (kept original sport utility wheels and hub caps), fuel system, tbi overhaul, all new fluids and filters all the way around.

Here and there, when I find OEM parts in good condition, I replace the stuff that's worn out or old on my 89. I try to maintain a certain aspect of originality to it... But there's something I'd like to share...

Ship of Theseus - Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

No matter if it's OEM, or if it's replacement stuff... Its never the original truck.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The second you start replacing interior parts the price of "fixin it up", skyrockets.
Pick your $$$ limit/max and buy the first thing you want fixed before you decide which part is next.
It's gonna be about money, don't kid yourself.
Set a limit and let er rip!

PS
Your plan is not obvious and there is no pictures. :( I thought you said you had an '84?

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The second you start replacing interior parts the price of "fixin it up", skyrockets.
Pick your $$$ limit/max and buy the first thing you want fixed before you decide which part is next.
It's gonna be about money, don't kid yourself.
Set a limit and let er rip!

PS
Your plan is not obvious and there is no pictures. :( I thought you said you had an '84?

There is no mention of a plan and I "think" he might be trying to decide what the plan is but given that he hasn't posted anything in follow up I have to wonder if we lost him. You are totally right about interior parts. I told part of this in another thread, but sometime about 20 - 30 years ago I was given a 1977 Toyota pickup. I had been recently pulled out of a field and was barely running. I rebuilt the carb, tuned it up and replaced the belts and hoses. The interior was completely destroyed, I welded in a pair of bucket seats out of some other car, tore the door panels and arm rests of and stripped the carpeting. Bed linered the floor, replaced the door cards with carpet and some simple handles from the hardware store replaced the arm rests. In the end the doors looked pretty good, I got compliments on them, but they each cost me only about $20. In the end the only thing I didn't like was the bed liner on the floor, mainly because it was hard clean. My point to the story is if you don't mind getting creative and making some of your own stuff, you can make some stuff look better for less.

I've got a pair of grab handle / entry handles in my square right now that I made out of iron pipe and metal I had laying around. Look is ok, function is excellent and cost is free.

As a side note 3 of my hub caps are missing and I'd really like to replace them but all the ones I've seen are more than I want to spend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88