How far to go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mossyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 1 BBL
I’m torn on how far to go with the ‘84 C10 that I have. Obviously my plan is to gradually replace things that are missing/damaged and put parts on it that make it run/drive better. But interior parts like the door panels, heat shields, etc are still functional, but you can tell their age. This truck won’t be going to any shows, and I have a 2018 Chevy as a daily driver. I’ll drive it around town here and there.

I’m torn between keeping as many original parts on it as possible since it was my grandfather’s, but would also like it to look aesthetically pleasing. Decisions, decisions.....

Which do you prefer...originality or “new old stock” look?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m torn on how far to go with the ‘84 C10 that I have. Obviously my plan is to gradually replace things that are missing/damaged and put parts on it that make it run/drive better. But interior parts like the door panels, heat shields, etc are still functional, but you can tell their age. This truck won’t be going to any shows, and I have a 2018 Chevy as a daily driver. I’ll drive it around town here and there.

I’m torn between keeping as many original parts on it as possible since it was my grandfather’s, but would also like it to look aesthetically pleasing. Decisions, decisions.....

Which do you prefer...originality or “new old stock” look?
I think your grandpa would just be happy that you are keeping it going. Depending on the state of the parts in question, a lot can be done to restore the original parts—with a lot of elbow grease a just a little cash.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
I’m am so in the original look department. I’m a snob to all of the new aftermarket stuff. My biggest pet peeve is seeing a square body restored with aftermarket interior pieces and such. The aftermarket door panels are garbage, not the same texture, right color etc. I’d much rather have a respectable OE interior and truck that can show its age but not be junk either. There is a fine line that’s sometimes hard to see when fixing up an old truck. Too far and yes, you need to redo everything. Not enough, and you may still have a rough old truck. I love not having shiny paint, makes all the other original pieces look just fine and at home. I enjoy driving my trucks way more than going to shows and such.
Just my 2 cents

Ben

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
This is such a question of personal preference that it's about impossible to answer. My truck is never going to look like the day we bought it because things wear, and unless perfect replacements are available it just can't be done. OTOH, when a part is just shot, like the driver's side armrest, it's long odds that a correct replacement can be found, but the LMC repop looks better than what was there, and most people wouldn't notice it.

The other side of the coin is that these trucks were just that. Trucks. Production utility vehicles and not hand crafted Rolls-Royces. There's a lot that can be done to make them better, safer, more reliable and more convenient without altering the fundamentals.

Everybody's standard is different. If I won the lottery, of course I'd be tearing the truck apart down to the welds and trying to bring it back to the day we drove it off the dealer's lot. But reality isn't quite like that and we have to decide where to draw the line. YOU have to decide where your personal line is.

I do appreciate that you're trying to keep it as GM intended. If and when I get around to going over mine it's going to appear to most observers to be original. I think that has been a big part of the truck's appeal since day one. Pieces in good shape will show some wear. Pieces that are really rough will get replaced so they don't look like junk, and a lot of not obvious things are going to get updates to help keep her on the road "forever".

Thank you for reading my ramblings, and good luck with your truck.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I’m am so in the original look department. I’m a snob to all of the new aftermarket stuff. My biggest pet peeve is seeing a square body restored with aftermarket interior pieces and such. The aftermarket door panels are garbage, not the same texture, right color etc. I’d much rather have a respectable OE interior and truck that can show its age but not be junk either. There is a fine line that’s sometimes hard to see when fixing up an old truck. Too far and yes, you need to redo everything. Not enough, and you may still have a rough old truck. I love not having shiny paint, makes all the other original pieces look just fine and at home. I enjoy driving my trucks way more than going to shows and such.
Just my 2 cents

Ben
^^^THIS^^^

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I am in the keep it original crowd. Fix what you can, rebuild/refurbish what you can, replace what absolutely needs to be replaced. But keep it original by all means. You have a special truck.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
In the end , whatever you do it's gonna be your truck and you are NOT going to change the year of it no matter what interior or exterior parts you put in it or on it, you are just trying to better it the way you want it!!!

Scotty D

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Bonanza Big10
Engine Size
I bought mine brand new in ‘79, I took it away from my kids in 2003 when the cab mounts collapsed. It sat behind my barn until last year when I decided to save it rather than scrap it. I got it running, ordered floor pans and cab mounts, rockers and corners.
That’s when I took a good look at everything and decided I could not afford a full restoration so the next best thing was to make a “driver” out it - make it safe, and on a budget. Fix a little bit at a time and have fun.

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3/NV4500/NP205/4:56 gear/35in tires
Ultimately its your truck and your decision. For me I love squares, my dad had several while I was growing up. I like the stock look of the squares but not against a few exterior mods such as tires, wheels and grills. The interiors were great from the factory, but those too can be tastefully upgraded with out loosing the factory look. Under the hood, well that's an open canvas. I am for anything that makes them run and drive better.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
For years I couldn't exactly explain this properly but while talking to a co-worker the other day, I found the right words. Turns out he thought I hate cars in general. Finally I found the words, I like function. I like vehicles that will work for me. They don't need to be flash or all original what I need is function. So if that were my truck I'd focus on getting it road worthy and dependable.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It is only original once but I see no reason to put up with worn out interiors and crappy body parts,molding either. I believe restoration helps a vehicle but when it comes to guns... refinishing etc hurts the value of those.I have a one owner k10 and have owned it since 2002.I replace what I can to make it look and perform better.But I do hate to see an all original 40 year old motor with headers and brackets/ mounts painted in cartoon like colors.So I do keep mine in as original condition as possible.But that's my preference....do what one likes with their own treasures and enjoy them.Squarebody trucks will probably never be worth 100 grand in the future anyway.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You don't have to restore it to like new to enjoy it, just replace things that are worn or broken. Faded is ok, chunks of missing seat cushion, not so ok, new shocks, stuff like that. I prefer stock myself but changing from single to dual exhaust could be nice, new tires but original rims and wheel covers, maybe adding a set of gauges that blend in with the cab, little stuff mostly. That's what I like,

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You don't have to restore it to like new to enjoy it, just replace things that are worn or broken. Faded is ok, chunks of missing seat cushion, not so ok, new shocks, stuff like that. I prefer stock myself but changing from single to dual exhaust could be nice, new tires but original rims and wheel covers, maybe adding a set of gauges that blend in with the cab, little stuff mostly. That's what I like,

I really like to see stock wheels with factory hubs. So many have no caps or switched to other wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat