How easy is it to use Vortech heads on older small block?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Going to the bone yard u-pull it place this Friday.

Noticed the post stickied about the vortech heads, etc..

I thought I might go pull some off something while I am there if I find something.

Couple of questions.

I am assuming the manifolds/headers off my original 350 won't fit the newer heads. Should I get the intake and exhaust manifolds while I am at it? If I do that, should I get the throttle body and computer too??

Do I need special lifters/push rods, will it bolt right up to my existing block?

Probably dumb questions, but I could not find anyone else asking in a search, so here it is..

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Not sure about the exhaust manifolds but I do know your current intake wont work. The aftermarket sells plenty though...
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2116/10002/-1?parentProductId=745125
If you do go with the intake/computer that's on it, it isnt TBI its MPFI. If it has TBI it's not Vortec. Look for the last 3 digits on the head casting numbers under the valve covers to be 906 or 062 (906 preferred). As for the other parts hopefully someone else will chime in since this is stuff I want to find out too.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
it isnt TBI its MPFI

It's more of a CFI system than a MPFI

As far as I know you don't need anything different valvetrain wise for the swap. Just a new intake.
Vortec engines 96+ started using roller cams, but you can still use your flat-tap setup with them.

I'm not sure if the Vortec heads are considered "angle spark plug" heads or if they are straight.
If they are angled you will need different manifolds. If they are straight then you can use whatever you currently have.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Your ok with the exhaust manifolds...Ive seen people use Rams horns on vortec heads. You will need a different manifold.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Going to the bone yard u-pull it place this Friday.

Noticed the post stickied about the vortech heads, etc..

I thought I might go pull some off something while I am there if I find something.

Couple of questions.

I am assuming the manifolds/headers off my original 350 won't fit the newer heads. Should I get the intake and exhaust manifolds while I am at it? If I do that, should I get the throttle body and computer too??

Do I need special lifters/push rods, will it bolt right up to my existing block?

Probably dumb questions, but I could not find anyone else asking in a search, so here it is..

Vortec heads will bolt directly to any of the older style small block's. Intake manifold will NOT work with vortec head's they require there own intake. Exaust manifold's off your engine will bolt right up to them, actually the vortec exaust manifolds flare out at the back and sit really close to the frame, if your motor mounts arnt new they will probably hit the frame.

As for snagging the fuel injection and computer, by all means it is a very doable swap, Painless wiring makes a harness to run the fuel injection but like all painless products make sure you lube the ole spincter up REALLY good. If your confident with electrical then just use the stock harness, If your not confortable doing the harness modification then send it to me and I can save you a hell of alot of money.

FWI the fuel injection on the 96-98 are CPFI (central port Fuel injection)

I am in the process of doing this exact fuelinjection swap into my 85 K30. Would be glad to help you in any way.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Vortec heads will bolt directly to any of the older style small block's. Intake manifold will NOT work with vortec head's they require there own intake. Exaust manifold's off your engine will bolt right up to them, actually the vortec exaust manifolds flare out at the back and sit really close to the frame, if your motor mounts arnt new they will probably hit the frame.

As for snagging the fuel injection and computer, by all means it is a very doable swap, Painless wiring makes a harness to run the fuel injection but like all painless products make sure you lube the ole spincter up REALLY good. If your confident with electrical then just use the stock harness, If your not confortable doing the harness modification then send it to me and I can save you a hell of alot of money.

I am in the process of doing this exact fuelinjection swap into my 85 K30. Would be glad to help you in any way.
GMT-400(1988 to 99 new body style, often referred to as OBS) exhaust manifold will not fit Squarebodies, they will hit the frame.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
GMT-400(1988 to 99 new body style, often referred to as OBS) exhaust manifold will not fit Squarebodies, they will hit the frame.

yea they do kind of hit the frame at the flanges, funny thing is I just put the vortec motor with the vortec exaust manifolds in my 85 K30 just yesterday, yes they do touch the frame but it takes minimal frame shaving to clearance them.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
yea they do kind of hit the frame at the flanges, funny thing is I just put the vortec motor with the vortec exaust manifolds in my 85 K30 just yesterday, yes they do touch the frame but it takes minimal frame shaving to clearance them.

Yeah, but you can use 87 manifolds, and not have to grind anything.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I think Christisan is just looking for info to go old shcool with Vortec heads and use a carb. Its a great swap Christian but do some research on which Vortec heads to get. Some are better than others. As said above 100X only thing you have to get is an aftermarket intake. The Vortech heads have much tallker port runners so OEM old school intake ports are much to short. Eddy make an intake for Votec heads and non computer carb. Expect a significant hp/torque gain if you do it. Vortec breathe so much better, plus raise compression a little too.

GM reffers to injection on Vortecs 96-98 as SFI, Sequential Fuel Injection. But yes it can still be considered other types like MFI as in MultiPort Injection cuz it is multi port, and CFI as Pops suggests.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Yeah, but you can use 87 manifolds, and not have to grind anything.

would you happen to have a picture of an 87 driverside manifold? I am curiouse about the emissions tube if it is in the same place as the vortec

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
would you happen to have a picture of an 87 driverside manifold? I am curiouse about the emissions tube if it is in the same place as the vortec

If i remember, the vortec tube comes off the back of the left manifold. In Cali, We usually make another EGR tube that comes off of the front of the 87 manifold AIR injection tap, which comes off of the #1 port. some guys have even used the o2 sensor tap for the egr tube, and had a separate bung in the header pipe for the sensor.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
So I could put vortec heads on my 87 run a diff manifold and still use the tbi?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I could put vortec heads on my 87 run a diff manifold and still use the tbi?

I'm not so sure there is a TBI intake for Vortec heads. If so summitracing would have it, or even Jegs.

coreys87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
corey
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500
Engine Size
so if i put on the vortec heads id have to get the whole fuel injection system right?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope, just the aftermarket Edelbrock Intake Vortec intake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04