How do you know when it's time to replace u-joints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Is there a way to check the condition of u-joints?

Or do they start making funny noises etc?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
They'll go clackety clack when you're driving down the road, or you might hear a clunk when you shift into gear. You can put it in neutral and check for driveshaft play, but this test has been totally worthless in my experience. I wasn’t completely sold on my u joint being bad until I pulled them, pulled the caps off, and saw where the roller bearings had carved an imprint of themselves into some of the trunnions.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Thank you.

The parts are cheap and chxnging them is ALWAYS a learning experience. It's not a task completed often enough to become real proficient doing.

I use the box at O'Reilly's with a picture of a truck "catching air" on it. "Super Strength" ...I am unsure what brand they are....somebody up there knows!
Actually, now that I think of it, they may have been discontinued. :imo: because they are TOO GOOD and one ONE is like a lifetime supply.

Solid. None of that hollow, greaseable, JUNK in any of MY vehicles!

Aw naw, HELL NAW!

PRECISION. I looked it up for you Brother. Dem R-D-gooduns. That's what you want...I would do whatever it takes to install THOSE, and then I would forget about them.
;)

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Hollow and greaseable is fine for a stock, street vehicle. Just be sure you orient the grease fittings so they're in compression during normal driving. For normal use I'd rather not have to take the driveshaft apart for maintenance, or resort to fix-as-fail.

But if you're making horses, going rock climbing etc. then solid is certainly stronger.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can put it in neutral and check for driveshaft play, but this test has been totally worthless in my experience.

or jack up the rear end and move your tire back and forth...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
This brings up a question and concern of mine. My '81 (avatar) I drive daily has these reverse Torx head bolts holding the U joint caps on. I bought a socket but it's a china special and too bulky to get on the bolt. I ground it down a lot to make it fit and then it just broke as I reefed on it.
I was too lazy to drop the center bearing support, which would have opened the U joint enough to get the socket on. Guess I just answered my own question duh... pass the bong.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
This brings up a question and concern of mine. My '81 (avatar) I drive daily has these reverse Torx head bolts holding the U joint caps on. I bought a socket but it's a china special and too bulky to get on the bolt.

I think my 87 C30 had those too. If I recall, I put the frame up on stands and let the rear end droop. The socket would only fit the yoke when two bolts were on the bottom. You then had to rotate it 180 degrees.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
This brings up a question and concern of mine. My '81 (avatar) I drive daily has these reverse Torx head bolts holding the U joint caps on. I bought a socket but it's a china special and too bulky to get on the bolt. I ground it down a lot to make it fit and then it just broke as I reefed on it.
I was too lazy to drop the center bearing support, which would have opened the U joint enough to get the socket on. Guess I just answered my own question duh... pass the bong.

They're 12 point. Just use a combination wrench with a 12 point box, but it is likely that you'll have to turn the shaft to gain clearance.

Reactions: WFO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120