How... do you build a stepside?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Since my box is about rotted off id say by the end of the summer i was looking at options. currently, I have a long stepside box (jusst the square part) and prob fenders. but i wouldnt know yhow mounts or flooirng works. fuel fill. etc. Any insight? I could either make it for trailer or put box on truck. whicever i prefer i guess.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Stepsides have supports going across the box that the wood flooring attaches to. The wood is held in place by metal strips and a ton of bolts. Here is a pic of mine after I took off the cross braces.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry I don't have a pic of them in place, but you can see the marks in the wood where they were. There was one on each end, and a pair of them before and after the axle.

You can also see the fender braces that keep the fenders from flopping around. The fenders are bolted to the bed sides.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Stepsides have supports going across the box that the wood flooring attaches to. The wood is held in place by metal strips and a ton of bolts. Here is a pic of mine after I took off the cross braces.

Sorry I don't have a pic of them in place, but you can see the marks in the wood where they were. There was one on each end, and a pair of them before and after the axle.

You can also see the fender braces that keep the fenders from flopping around. The fenders are bolted to the bed sides.
So how does it mount to the frame?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So how does it mount to the frame?
There are bolts that go thru the wood, crossbraces, and finally the top lip of the frame. Seems like there were 8 of them. You can see tabs on the rear crossmember (top of picture) and some larger holes in the wood where some of the other crossmembers went. The bolts had a carriage head and went through a large washer with an offset hole.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Bolt lengths are different from the fleet side bed as well. I’m sure most would work but I’m told a couple were the wrong length. Got my stainless steel bolt kit off a kid with a step side. He said they didn’t work for him due to it being a stepper.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
There are bolts that go thru the wood, crossbraces, and finally the top lip of the frame. Seems like there were 8 of them. You can see tabs on the rear crossmember (top of picture) and some larger holes in the wood where some of the other crossmembers went. The bolts had a carriage head and went through a large washer with an offset hole.
So.. you need to make sure to have a floor first before you can mount the bed? And whwre might I find those braces?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Whattup friend? @SDJunkMan ?
I hope you and the family are well.
Hey Rusty, we're doing fine, daughter in law (lives in Denver) may have a mild case of covid, but it hasn't hit in our area yet (6 cases).

Sorry to hear that your girlfriend has the covid crap.

Waiting for the weather to break so I can get to some of my projects. Looks like we will be getting snow again this weekend.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

1980_C10_STEPSIDE

Reaction score
First Name
Salvador
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There was one on each end, and a pair of them before and after the axle.
I was reading through this thread, great info by the way. I think I may be missing one cross brace.

Is that the standard layout even for the short-beds?

Attachments

• IMG_5968.jpeg
    IMG_5968.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5962.jpeg
    IMG_5962.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 28

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@GMC_Nick While looking for information for Taylor I found a post for your stepside. Does the stepside bed bolt to the frame or brackets on the frame?

What Mike said, @AuroraGirl any progress?

By the way, did you ever get the rack sides? I made a set from red oak. 1 x 6's for the sides, but I needed to rip saw the uprights to the correct size. I used 1/4" carriage bolts from the inside so no bolt end to snag the load. I recessed the nuts into the thicker uprights.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
here is a pic of the bottom of my bed if that helps at all

Forum statistics