How close are the aftermarket doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legend57

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I recently purchased a set of the AMD doors for my '76. We'll be fitting them soon. Out of the box, they appear to be very high quality. I'll report back on how they actually fit the cab.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
They all suck. I bought the more expensive LMC version. They took some work to make fit. Do all you bending before primer and paint. Fit them with the necessary shims and bend them where they need to be bent, remember how many and size and location of shims then remove door and primer paint.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
They all suck. I bought the more expensive LMC version. They took some work to make fit. Do all you bending before primer and paint. Fit them with the necessary shims and bend them where they need to be bent, remember how many and size and location of shims then remove door and primer paint.
*These trucks all suck* Every cab is significantly different in our experience, so it's not just the door's fault if it doesn't fall right on

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
*These trucks all suck* Every cab is significantly different in our experience, so it's not just the door's fault if it doesn't fall right on
Exactly! When is AMD gonna start making cabs? lol

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Exactly! When is AMD gonna start making cabs? lol
@totallyhucked- What was original on the cab you had on display and gave away at Dino's? Firewall?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
@totallyhucked- What was original on the cab you had on display and gave away at Dino's? Firewall?
The cab itself was an original, the doors were ours (one '73-76 and one '77-up). And then the front clip/bed were ours of course.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Lots of rain this winter? lol
No lots of bondo revealed itself lol
Held up good for the first 3 years if me having it. Funny thing is I replaced everything except for the cab and hood on my first square in high school.

I gotta pass door to put on. All I need is a driver's door and new cab. That's all lol
The bed and fenders have a bunch of bondo too but not rusting though yet. I'll be looking like @78C10BigTen before long. Lol

79K10Step

Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I recently installed two new doors from LMC for my 79 k10. I got the premium doors which were a little more expensive but good quality and in stock now. Took awhile to get them lined up since I was installing fenders also and even the factory fenders had varying shims in them. Late model Chevy trucks have multiple adjustment points on the hinges (interior & exterior). I stayed away from the hinge points mounted to the cab they are a pain and create too many variables.
I dry fit the doors got them right with some shims and mounting hole adjustment then once mounted drilled small 1/8th inch holes in the hinges two top, two bottom, to make sure I could line them back up after taking them off to prime and paint.
I have always had good luck with LMC fair price and shipping.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
No lots of bondo revealed itself lol
Held up good for the first 3 years if me having it. Funny thing is I replaced everything except for the cab and hood on my first square in high school.

I gotta pass door to put on. All I need is a driver's door and new cab. That's all lol
The bed and fenders have a bunch of bondo too but not rusting though yet. I'll be looking like @78C10BigTen before long. Lol
Hey hey hey!!! Lmao

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I just want to take a second for a shout out to my fellow GM sheet metal design engineers.

People like to rag on General Motors quality, especially fit and finish from back in the day, but here you see the kind of major misses one often sees in aftermarket parts. I hear this and see this all the time.

To me it really shows what happens when other people (like outside suppliers) try to do on a small scale what we do all day every day.

K
I for one would much rather have a GM-made door than one from a metric country. Our trucks are not metric, so if they measure metrically and convert, chance for mistakes. I'll stick with American-made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31