Hood ornaments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I tested my hood with a Magnet. It Stuck, So It seems my Orig hood was never messed with/nor an Emblem.
I can tell it's orig b/c the midnight black paint is still on it. But the only real way to tell is Contact GM media archive and get the Info packet...

With modern lightweight fillers, the magnet trick doesn't work well. Unless it's THICK. It also could have been welded up and metal finished.

Just look at the underside of the hood, where you would access the retaining nut for the hood ornament. Previous work should be easier to spot that way.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
With modern lightweight fillers, the magnet trick doesn't work well. Unless it's THICK. It also could have been welded up and metal finished.

Just look at the underside of the hood, where you would access the retaining nut for the hood ornament. Previous work should be easier to spot that way.

Rite, I looked my best inside but was falling into night here. But didn't get a clear enough shot. |
Honestly it might be one of those that was never optioned to have a ornament.

Termite_Delight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
1976 1975
Truck Model
K2500 K2500
Engine Size
350 L33
Rite, I looked my best inside but was falling into night here. But didn't get a clear enough shot. |
Honestly it might be one of those that was never optioned to have a ornament.

Or could have an aftermarket hood... Lots of parts get swapped out on these old trucks after 40 years.

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Or could have an aftermarket hood... Lots of parts get swapped out on these old trucks after 40 years.

It could. But I doubt that When I bought it from the younger guy, He & His Older Brother *Mind this guy was in his mid-20s* So I'd imagine his brother was around early-30s.
Giver takes Anyway. If I recall properly, They bought it from the original owner, Took out the diesel & Converted it to Gas, I bought it... Didn't know it was diesel until My Father & I went and looked at it and he mentioned Yes it was originally a Diesel & My brother has the Orig eng at his house... My plans at the time were just to Give it a few months to a 1yr & Cheap parts redo it and Daily it... But After I thought of my Father's good friend who served in the military & Which also had a truck 79 Scottsdale, Was Restored in the late-90s to early 2000s With all Genuine GM Stuff, That's when I decided I'm gonna do that to mine.

Sorry to write out half an Essay, Just wanted it to be "Clear" My plans after it's all restored is to possibly find the Dealership & Original owner it was sold it & Reintroduce him to the truck after who knows how many yrs it's been since he's seen it. *The young kid said he bought it from him roughly 2-3 yrs Prior I bought it in April of 15'*

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Epecially bent hoods in the crumple point.

I've only heard of the 73-80 hoods bending.
Where is this "Crumble Point" at on the 81-87 hoods?

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
That's what I thought

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Latest posts