Homemade threaded insert/rib nut installation tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
I've been puzzling out how to install some threaded inserts in the roof of my burb for the last few weeks. I tried following some examples on YouTube- no dice I think their methods did not work on the little 10-24 inserts I am using. Then I bought this thing at HF: http://m.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-riveter-kit-94100.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided. Seems well made but it just doesn't seem to be capable of installing steel inserts - it required a huge amount of force to operate and it broke on my second try. Lucky I didn't break a finger. Was thinking about the appropriate tool on Amazon ($60 or so) but I came up with this arrangement tonight. $3 at Ace.
You must be registered for see images attach

Note that the long coupler but is a size bigger (1/4") than the bolt so the bolt can turn freely inside it. Works like a champ and very easy to make/install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I've been puzzling out how to install some threaded inserts in the roof of my burb for the last few weeks. I tried following some examples on YouTube- no dice I think their methods did not work on the little 10-24 inserts I am using. Then I bought this thing at HF: http://m.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-riveter-kit-94100.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided. Seems well made but it just doesn't seem to be capable of installing steel inserts - it required a huge amount of force to operate and it broke on my second try. Lucky I didn't break a finger. Was thinking about the appropriate tool on Amazon ($60 or so) but I came up with this arrangement tonight. $3 at Ace.

Note that the long coupler but is a size bigger (1/4") than the bolt so the bolt can turn freely inside it. Works like a champ and very easy to make/install.

The one we use at work is broken, 300$ tool someone didn't know how to use, I'll try this at work and see how it goes [emoji106]

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Nice. My only suggestion would be to use a hardened socket head cap screw as the puller screw because they last longer.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
What are these for i need to find a better attachment for my visor po self tapped it

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What are these for i need to find a better attachment for my visor po self tapped it

These are called riv-nuts and meant to be used as an insert through thin materials where you may not be able to or want to use a nut on the back side. Perfect for what you need. They even make them with closed ends for better weather resistance.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
These are called riv-nuts and meant to be used as an insert through thin materials where you may not be able to or want to use a nut on the back side. Perfect for what you need. They even make them with closed ends for better weather resistance.

This would be perfect for cab lights lol

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
Just a FYI. McMaster Carr sells these for about $30 for a size. They also have different rivnuts depending on what your doing.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none

that's exactly how they are supposed to be attached, they come with self tapping metal screws when you buy them no, never an issue, we've had ours on and off, just tap the hole down with a hammer when removed and they'll bite again like new, you just don't torque the crap out of them.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've got a manual compression tool for mine. I bought the tool mainly to install the LH aux. battery tray upper mounting nuts. I use aluminum inserts just because they are easy to use.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I've got a manual compression tool for mine. I bought the tool mainly to install the LH aux. battery tray upper mounting nuts. I use aluminum inserts just because they are easy to use.

That's exactly what I used some riv-nuts for as well.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's exactly what I used some riv-nuts for as well.

Cool! Well, I wanted a factory style look to the GM battery tray I wanted to use so I could run dual batteries and I'm picky about add-on stuff appearing factory-most people nut/bolt in and it looks cheesy IMO.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Cool! Well, I wanted a factory style look to the GM battery tray I wanted to use so I could run dual batteries and I'm picky about add-on stuff appearing factory-most people nut/bolt in and it looks cheesy IMO.
I hear ya there. Doesn't always have to look factory, but definitely wanna do it as nice as I can so i don't have to do it again later when a plan changes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising