Homemade car trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
No, I can't upload pics period. When I hit the upload a file button it turns grey for a second but does nothing. I opened another thread about this, but no responses and tmobile tech is worthless.Anyways if anyone hays any ideas please let me know.
Popup blocker? In app or website? Browser? I would venture you have a popup blocker or adblocker or permissions for your app dont work. if on an Idevice, try chrome browser. If on a android, try another popular browser like firefox or chrome or safari from the app store.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Popup blocker? In app or website? Browser? I would venture you have a popup blocker or adblocker or permissions for your app dont work. if on an Idevice, try chrome browser. If on a android, try another popular browser like firefox or chrome or safari from the app store.

I'm sorry I should have come back to this sooner.I opened a seperate thread specifically to address the no pics issue. Vbb199 nailed it. I had chrome,but had been opening the site from my email,opened in chrome, problem solved.Looks like aurora girl would have solved it also. Anyway thanks everyone. Merry Christmas. I'm happy I can post pics now. Gotta go, need to take pics of my son's cat for you guys.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Has anyone built something like this? Anyone got an idea what size angle those rails are, looks like 2x2 but what weight? Also looks like 1 and 3/4s angle going crossways every 4 feet
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Does anyone have access to a 4 post lift? Can I talk you out of some bottom side ramp pics , and basic thickness. That's basically what I need to build is 2 decks like on a 4 post.

Thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does anyone have access to a 4 post lift? Can I talk you out of some bottom side ramp pics , and basic thickness. That's basically what I need to build is 2 decks like on a 4 post.

Thanks.

I don't think those two uses are comparable? Supporting a stationary vehicle is going to be easier than supporting one that's bouncing down the road.

Those angle runners on the above picture look to be 2.5" and probably 5/16" or even 3/8" thick. The required beef of the materials is going to depend heavily on the other structures of the trailer. Are the runners going to act as the trailer frame, or will there be a frame below the runners?

Personally, I'd like to see a heavy 3" or 4" channel frame (and crossmembers) with those thick 2.5" angles being used as the runners.

What deck length and weight rating were you going for again?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well I went back and read again. Your primary use will be stationary. But my opinion is still the same. It will have the ability to move around and see additional stress. Be safe and go heavy.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Bucket I think your right about that angle being bigger than I thought at first I was already planning on a 4x4 square tubing perimeter frame with removable angle iron crossmembers every 4feet. Didn't original want to use wood decking but those looked so simple.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

I want to build something like this, with crossmembers that can unbolt and a single axle.I have a 16 ft flatbed and a car dolly so this things use will be a service tool.I suppose if I ever wanted to use it on the road I could add a second axle later.I guess I should build it as a dual axle and only put one on for now, but prebuild it for both. Damnit I think it's all figured out.

Last edited:

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Put the trailer on those 36s that are on top of it and turn your truck into a DONK!
Are those wheels capable of turning without tearing up the fenders? Just for show? Not opposed to big wheels on vehicles but they still need to be drivable.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Are those wheels capable of turning without tearing up the fenders? Just for show? Not opposed to big wheels on vehicles but they still need to be drivable.
I have no idea. I think they’re atrocious. I think they’re a bit more narrow than you’d expect for the height, but I still doubt they’re going full lock to lock.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I have no idea. I think they’re atrocious. I think they’re a bit more narrow than you’d expect for the height, but I still doubt they’re going full lock to lock.
Yeah the wheels are a little big and the sidewall is sort of nonexistent. Seen worse though, like tires cut in half and just the tread screwed onto the rim to act like a tire because they're so big and they needed two tires to make one. Sidewall gone..:eek:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Ran across this today.Not for sale but I took measurements. The angle iron on this isn't even as thick as my flat bed so I'm just going to modify it by pulling out the center boards and adding 2 pieces of angle for the runners.. He can use this as a flat bed or an open center car trailer. Anyone needs any measurements.I got them.

Last edited:

Sauc3r

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
7.4L 454

Ran across this today.Not for sale but I took measurements. The angle iron on this isn't even as thick as my flat bed so I'm just going to modify it by pulling out the center boards and adding 2 pieces of angle for the runners.. He can use this as a flat bed or an open center car trailer. Anyone needs any measurements.I got them.

please?! Also thus may be a stupid question. Where would be the best place to get metal... I have welder, and can actually weld, just short on material lol.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
please?! Also thus may be a stupid question. Where would be the best place to get metal... I have welder, and can actually weld, just short on material lol.

IDK in Kansas there are several places I can just drive too. I'd Google steel distributors in your area.

Sauc3r

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
7.4L 454
IDK in Kansas there are several places I can just drive too. I'd Google steel distributors in your area.
Alrighty sounds like a winner. Too bad my area is a definite no fun zone for stuff like that lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406