1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homemade car trailers

Discussion in 'Garage' started by Ricko1966, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:45 PM.

1. Ricko1966

Ricko1966 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c20
    Engine Size:
    http://distillery-trailercentral.s3...18_Open_Center_Car__Racing_Trailer_OlIg9a.jpg

Looking to build something like this, but single axle and fewer cross braces, not for road use or maybe limited light road use. Actually want to build it as a giant service ramp, open center, block the tires stabilize with 4 camper jacks drive on then level with camper jacks, instant alignment rack, etc.lower the rear jacks raise the front for more front access, vice versa for rear let it pivot on single center axle.Parkbit it out of the way when not in use.Who has built their own car trailer? I need help choosing my materials.

2. SDJunkMan

SDJunkMan Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    I've built a few, but I always put short sides on mine to act as trusses so I can use lighter steel for the main frame.

3. Ricko1966

Ricko1966 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c20
    Engine Size:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/9DH2mdqwekJ7YDmt8

These were what I really wanted to build but figured no one would know what to build those ramps out of. I figured a modified open center car trailer using a center mounted center axle would be a reasonable facsimile. Those ramps are super cool, the legs are adjustable, the center legs are the pivot point drive on, weight of the car brings the front down lock the back legs down. Anyone do commercial roofing?I was thinking maybe 16 inch strips of commercial steel decking for built up roofs might work if I built an angle iron perimeter and cross braces. If I build the ramps and use a trailer axle for my center pivot I can move it out of the way by myself.Any thoughts? Anyone ?Thoughts on building strong enough ramps to do this.