Holley or edelbrock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok I have three choices here, I have a quadrajet on my truck, works good, have been given a Holley 750 and a spacer for free but the Holley needs rebuilt, or should I say hell with it and get an edelbrock? I know I should probably just keep the quadrajet but I'm not sure if any is better than the other, what's the consensus?

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Ok I have three choices here, I have a quadrajet on my truck, works good, have been given a Holley 750 and throttle body spacer for free but the Holley needs rebuilt, or should I say hell with it and get an edelbrock? I know I should probably just keep the quadrajet but I'm not sure if any is better than the other, what's the consensus?

If your Q-Jet works good keep it! I got lucky once with an Edlebrock that worked well for me but of all the carbs I have worked with I love, love, love my Q-jet. I have neglected that carb for 10 years and it still performs well. The well plugs leak and the float is set too high but it never, ever lets me down and I can count on it to run consistently.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It does run good, a little rich, but I'm not sure how to adjust the quad. Are there any tweaks to adjust the fuel?

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It does run good, a little rich, but I'm not sure how to adjust the quad. Are there any tweaks to adjust the fuel?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

If you describe in more detail exactly when it's rich and include some more details about ignition system and timing, engine temp when warm and any other mods then it can be decided what to adjust.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
After startup in the morning after 4/5 pumps on gas it smells rich and has some popping in the exhaust, probably due to pumping it but it still smells rich but when it's at about 190 degrees it doesn't smell as bad but you can still hear the exhaust, sounds like bubbles popping is how I can describe it, never gets over 190 and idles smoothly but you can smell fuel still, no leaks anywhere but I think the carb hasn't been touched in years and has sat for months before I got it, since getting it I added a bigger air cleaner, the one that was on it was a 3in, went up to a 5in, adjusted my kick down cable because it wouldn't shift into passing gear and it didn't seem the four barrels would fully open, runs Munich better now but wasn't sure what else to try besides carb, new plugs maybe a lil hotter ones and wires. Truck is virtually a stock 350 with stock manifolds and dual exhaust

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Rochesters are amazingly tuneable. There are lots of online tutorials on how to do it, as well as books (Cliff Ruggles comes to mind).

You can mess with the choke to get better cold-start/run performance, then probably the mixture screws need a bit of a tweak. If the carb hasn't been tuned in years, it's likely not fueling according to where the engine ~is~ now, as opposed to ten/twenty years ago.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Do you know the code number on your quadrajet? Something like a 17059205 maybe.
Should have a hot air choke system, which can be converted to electric.

I'm a quadrajet guy, so naturally, I'm going to say quadrajet. And why not. You can get yours professionally built for less than you can buy a new anything. Or I can build a core I have on hand and take yours back as a core. The quadrajet, when built right will provide the best performance and best fuel economy of any carburetor choice. When they are set up correctly for your engine, they require only minor external adjustments for idle mixture and speed.

Quadrajets don't swap around well from different models. Each of them was built specific for it's intended use from the factory. Too many times, they get moved around to different makes/models and don't perform well and get tossed away.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'll check when I get home and let you know, I've had quads before but have only rebuilt one, didn't get it quite right and had to have a mechanic redo it. Lol that was 23yrs ago so I've learned a little more since then but don't want to tinker too much and have to spend a ton of cash. Carbs have always fascinated me but they confuse me also, tbi is my favorite but it doesn't take much to rebuild one of those! Lol just rebuilt my 92 tbi in the middle of winter last year! Lol

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Do you know the code number on your quadrajet? Something like a 17059205 maybe.
Should have a hot air choke system, which can be converted to electric.

I'm a quadrajet guy, so naturally, I'm going to say quadrajet. And why not. You can get yours professionally built for less than you can buy a new anything. Or I can build a core I have on hand and take yours back as a core. The quadrajet, when built right will provide the best performance and best fuel economy of any carburetor choice. When they are set up correctly for your engine, they require only minor external adjustments for idle mixture and speed.

Quadrajets don't swap around well from different models. Each of them was built specific for it's intended use from the factory. Too many times, they get moved around to different makes/models and don't perform well and get tossed away.
Besides shipping etc what would be the cost for swapping one versus rebuilding mine!?

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
My stock engine quadrajet build cost is $225. If I build one I have, I charge a $75 core charge that is refunded when I receive yours back. That way you don't have any down time with your truck.
Details are on my website, but information below

My stock build includes:
complete disassemble and soak
Ultrasonic cleaning of quadrajet
All new gaskets
New jets
New primary rods
New Float
New primary shaft bushings
New high flow needle/seat
New power piston spring
New fuel filter
New secondary air valve cam
New secondary air valve spring
New primary pull off
You receive build sheet with all measurements and specs and adjustment instructions with pictures.

Everything is measured and set up for your application. No store kit is ever used on my builds.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I`m a holley guy but I have heard great things about the qjets from Sean Murphy induction. They have a stage 1 that is under $400 that is built to your engine specs. They are more difficult to tune than the Holley or Edelbrock but if you know what you are doing they can be great carbs.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Edelbrocks (Carters, really) are pretty dependable but very finicky if there's any dirt in the fuel system. They're also bad about cylinder wash if not tuned well, and still bad about it if you just pin the throttle because of mechanical secondaries. Qjets have vacuum actuated secondaries which only pull fuel according to engine demand. My much older Eddy 1406 which has been so good to me for so long has developed a dead bog from idle to WOT that just wont tune out so I will be switching on a qjet soon and see if that fixes it. If not, on to diagnosing something else.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
What about building these for performance? Say 400hp

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
What about building these for performance? Say 400hp

I do custom performance builds and race builds and Quadrajet can do well to about 600hp. I modify the internal circuits for and replace the secondary rods to match the needs of the engine and driving style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1