Here's one for the Holley/Eddy debate...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Totally un related but, the office came out to the shop wanting receipts to match up to the 1,400.00 bill from napa for last month. I just laughed and asked " so you are not going to pay for my 750 double pumper?". The sad thing is no one got the joke and now I am on the $hit list with the girl in the office. oh well
Eric

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Plenty of Holleys and Carter/Edelbrock/Weber AFB sitting broken on shelves d/t unreliability. Now if Holley/ Edelbrock could come out w/ a new Quadrajet...it'd be newsworthy.

Edelbrock DID have a new Q-Jet about 25 years ago. They bought all the tooling from Rochester when the factory in New York ceased Q-Jet production. They addressed some of the factory flaws, included a performance calibration, included factory electric choke, and use to offer tuning parts.

I had one of their 1910 850 Q-Jets on my Olds. It ran flawlessly. I kinda wish I had left the car alone instead of “improving” it with the Sniper EFI.

A friend of mine bought a new in the box 1910 carb. Occasionally you find them.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Edelbrock DID have a new Q-Jet about 25 years ago. They bought all the tooling from Rochester when the factory in New York ceased Q-Jet production. They addressed some of the factory flaws, included a performance calibration, included factory electric choke, and use to offer tuning parts.

I had one of their 1910 850 Q-Jets on my Olds. It ran flawlessly. I kinda wish I had left the car alone instead of “improving” it with the Sniper EFI.

I almost scored an edelbrock Quadrajet once. I wanted it so bad lol

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
All fuel injection gets you is an easy start for mow-rons and their own list of issues that have to be fixed with a PC.
Fuel injection is nice for folks who drive a wide range of elevations. I go from sea level to over 10,000 feet quite regularly.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Fuel injection is nice for folks who drive a wide range of elevations. I go from sea level to over 10,000 feet quite regularly.

Elevation is not that big a deal. Holley says drop one jet size for every 2000 feet increase in elevation. Granted, a change of 5 jet size is a pretty big jump, but assuming the engine is pretty well tuned it will run just fine. It’s definitely not ideal, but it won’t be weezing or pouring out black smoke either.

I have had this discussion with the EFI chest thumpers many times in the past. It’s usually some pink kid who has no clue what a carburetor is. Do they really think people would have just accepted if their brand new car couldn’t drive anywhere without a hassle? Or grandma would be perfectly content pulling up to bingo night reaking of gas?

People drove carbureted cars and trucks in the mountains for almost a 100 years, and managed just fine.

The Pikes Peak hill climb record in 1970 was just over 11 minutes. That’s an elevation change of almost 15000 feet, 156 turns, and a little over 12 miles. Not one jet change!!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I almost scored an edelbrock Quadrajet once. I wanted it so bad lol
I’d love to find another 1910 carb. Out of all the different carbs I have had on my Olds, none ran as well, got anywhere near the economy, or as trouble free as the Q-Jet.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Totally un related but, the office came out to the shop wanting receipts to match up to the 1,400.00 bill from napa for last month. I just laughed and asked " so you are not going to pay for my 750 double pumper?". The sad thing is no one got the joke and now I am on the $hit list with the girl in the office. oh well
Eric
She probably misinterpreted the meaning of the term "Double Pumper" !!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And I'll add temperature changes. No more swapping jets every 6 months when the temp goes from 40 to 120.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I just came across one of those Eddy quadrajets yesterday. I had forgotten all about them. It was included with the sale of an '82 Corvette. The car currently was running a spread bore Holley and the owner reported it ran better. *Disclaimer* He didn't think the quadrajet was a bad carb, he just knew how to tune a Holley better.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Elevation is not that big a deal. Holley says drop one jet size for every 2000 feet increase in elevation. Granted, a change of 5 jet size is a pretty big jump, but assuming the engine is pretty well tuned it will run just fine. It’s definitely not ideal, but it won’t be weezing or pouring out black smoke either.

I have had this discussion with the EFI chest thumpers many times in the past. It’s usually some pink kid who has no clue what a carburetor is. Do they really think people would have just accepted if their brand new car couldn’t drive anywhere without a hassle? Or grandma would be perfectly content pulling up to bingo night reaking of gas?

People drove carbureted cars and trucks in the mountains for almost a 100 years, and managed just fine.

The Pikes Peak hill climb record in 1970 was just over 11 minutes. That’s an elevation change of almost 15000 feet, 156 turns, and a little over 12 miles. Not one jet change!!
I don’t completely disagree with any of these points, but so far my FI does run really well in just about any condition. The Chevy dealer in San Francisco probably didn’t send cars off the lot with the same jets as the dealer in Tahoe.

I’m guessing the pikes peak car tuner wasn’t concerned with part throttle, high vacuum AFR. 12.5:1 at the bottom and send it.

…and you are WAAAY off on the elevation change. It’s only 4700 ft top to bottom. I lived at the base of pikes peak for a while. It is a neat road that has changed a lot over the years.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I don’t completely disagree with any of these points, but so far my FI does run really well in just about any condition. The Chevy dealer in San Francisco probably didn’t send cars off the lot with the same jets as the dealer in Tahoe.

I’m guessing the pikes peak car tuner wasn’t concerned with part throttle, high vacuum AFR. 12.5:1 at the bottom and send it.

…and you are WAAAY off on the elevation change. It’s only 4700 ft top to bottom. I lived at the base of pikes peak for a while. It is a neat road that has changed a lot over the years.

Google says otherwise. I thought it was almost 15000 feet, I had to double check.

Attachments

• IMG_7321.jpeg
    IMG_7321.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7320.jpeg
    IMG_7320.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 34

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
And I'll add temperature changes. No more swapping jets every 6 months when the temp goes from 40 to 120.

I have heard this argument as well. When these trucks were new, people didn’t tune them every time the weather changed.

Altitude has a much bigger influence on jetting than temperature. Holley says go up one jet size for ever 30 degree temperature change.

Assuming your carb is tuned correctly for a typical 75-80 degree day, your jetting might off a couple sized between the bitter cold of winter and a brutal hot day. It’s not that big a deal.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Google says otherwise. I thought it was almost 15000 feet, I had to double check.
That’s the elevation at the top, but you don’t start at sea level.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224