Hold back the tears...it's gonna make you cry.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Stumbled upon this today. Yep, that whole "pile of scrap metal" is destined for the crusher/recycler.

4 CUCV, 1 Blazer. Loaded frames. Dana 60's, 14 FF, Lockers, Turbo 400's, 208 t-cases, brush guards....

I wish there was a way.....sigh.

You must be registered for see images attach
WHAT!!o_O:eek::biggun::33::mad:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They don't sell squat anymore. I used to live near Herlong army base in California, was a munitions disposal site when they were still allowed to blow up old ordinance. There was a dump that the county had where the army took everything waste that they didn't bury (dad was a civil engineer there, said you'd cry at what went underground so they could spend the last of their budget money). I remember one time that they got new quads to patrol the site on and they took 12 older still working quads, stacked 'em in a big pile and torched them at the dump at night so you didn't see nasty black cloud. Nothing but a twisted pile when I looked at them in the morning. :emotions122: Dad said they were not allowed to sell stuff to the public in auctions, and so that they didn't loose how much budget money they would get the next year, they would spend every last penny and get rid of the old stuff this way.
Auction money usually goes to the big organization your a part of. If it's army it goes to the huge army fund or if AF the same thing.

So selling used stuff or it going to auction does not effect the next year's budget. But you are right you need to spend all of a current years years even if on stupid in needed stuff.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Auction money usually goes to the big organization your a part of. If it's army it goes to the huge army fund or if AF the same thing.

So selling used stuff or it going to auction does not effect the next year's budget. But you are right you need to spend all of a current years years even if on stupid in needed stuff.

I've came to despise places like gov planet.

I recently contacted my old "tire guy"

He picked up military 36's, 40's, 46's, 53's.

Sold them back on FB marketplace or friends for dirt cheap, he was getting them from a naval base.

I was looking for a set of the most common tires, the standard 36" tire for a 16.5 rim they run on the hummers for my s10, so I could have "street tires"

He said gov planet completely swooped in, kicked him out, and takes all the tires directly from the naval base in VA.

Total predators.
And... OF COURSE! they sell the tires for ungodly amounts of money now.

I used to be able pickup a set of four 53" Michelin or Goodyear tires for like, 400$.

Not anymore!!!!
Stupid gov planet bastards.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Guess I just need to say love the Military...hate the bureaucracy. Money grubbers can damn near ruin anything.

HOTFOOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k3500 srw
Engine Size
On the bottom of the diff where it has the 2 X's it will also say 44 or 60. D60's in addition to having king pins, the right inner spring mount is a stud (no U-bolt).

My 80 k3500

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've came to despise places like gov planet.

I recently contacted my old "tire guy"

He picked up military 36's, 40's, 46's, 53's.

Sold them back on FB marketplace or friends for dirt cheap, he was getting them from a naval base.

I was looking for a set of the most common tires, the standard 36" tire for a 16.5 rim they run on the hummers for my s10, so I could have "street tires"

He said gov planet completely swooped in, kicked him out, and takes all the tires directly from the naval base in VA.

Total predators.
And... OF COURSE! they sell the tires for ungodly amounts of money now.

I used to be able pickup a set of four 53" Michelin or Goodyear tires for like, 400$.

Not anymore!!!!
Stupid gov planet bastards.
If you look on gov deals , a lot of the stuff I saw sometimes goes dirt cheap. But like the camo digital uniforms. There cheap per piece. But you have to buy like 2000 pieces. I was looking at the gortex years ago. But I didn't want to buy several hundred pairs of it!!

Our fire department sold an early 90s 3500 mini pumper with a torn up pump and for sure transfer case. I think it was just the PTO part of the t case was busted. Anyway we disclosed all the issues. That thing sold for like $14,000 about a year ago!! I couldn't believe it. Two people really wanted that thing. I forget the original miles. It was less than 100k. I'm thinking it was in the 50 to 75k range. It had a 454 in it.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Yeah, the "excess" process is quite interesting. I have a lot of insight into being a former property custodian for a federal agency. Basically, anything the agency no longer needs gets marked for excess. Normally, a contractor is in charge of dealing with the excess equipment. First it gets put on a list for that center/base and is up for grabs in house. Then it is listed for anyone else in the agency, then the rest of the federal government, state and tribal groups, and finally for education. If no one picks it up through those they determine if it has more value to sell on a website like GSA auctions. Finally, if the scrap value is more than they think they can get for it it will be scrapped. Most the time the contractor doesn't think it's worth their time to sell it will be listed for scrap. If it disappears no one will be too upset except maybe the folks that hold the contract for the scrap.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
WOW, that sucks